Baby Goat attacked, very sick

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Aasiya, Jan 19, 2021.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

What a beautiful name! Great that she's doing better!

Aasiya and MadHouse like this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

That’s good news! Hoping she will continue to improve!

Aasiya likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good work, glad things are better. :)

4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

The yellow poop is milk being processed. But scours are not good. Keep an eye and electrolites are good. Good luck. Please post us a picture

toth boer goats, Aasiya and MadHouse like this.
  5. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    New update: Ianthe is almost completely recovered and can run around carefully. She even jumps from my bed. She's spending more time with her family..but her mother and siblings have become a bit aggressive to her, so we keep an eye on her when she's outside. She does scour very easily whenever she nurses...is this the after effects of the antibiotic? Iv kept her on electrolytes twice in a row now..it stops when milk stops then start again after giving milk. Any ideas what to do? Thanks again

Jubillee, MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
  7. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
  8. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Here's her wearing a makeshift sweater out of a towel(it's pretty cold outside!):)

9. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    She’s looking great! I love the happy goat pictures! She’s adorable for sure and must be a real joy to watch now that she’s getting better. You’ve done a great job caring for her.
    Give her some flat dark beer to jumpstart the good bacteria in her rumen then add probiotics For a few days 3-4 hours after the antibiotics to help her along.

10. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Baby goats at this age have poop that is the color and consistency of butterscotch pudding. It's completely normal, not scouring at all.
    The more electrolyte in water you give her, the looser her poop will be. How can you form poop drinking nothing but water and salt?

GoofyGoat and Aasiya like this.
  11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Aw, she's adorable! I'm so glad she's over the hump! I don't know about beer (you're not trying to jumpstart her rumen since she's not cudding yet), but if you can give probiotics that should help populate her gut with good bacteria. I would agree that the antibiotics probably did throw her system out of whack. In addition to giving probiotics, I think you should try to cut her milk intake down at each meal but add extra feeding times. See if smaller, more frequent meals helps her system readjust.

12. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Aww, what a cutie! You are doing great, nursing her back to health!

Aasiya likes this.
  13. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thank you all for the advice:)...I'll give her the probiotics and try smaller frequent meals as suggested. Don't think I can find beer though.. alcohol is illegal here.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    This may have been asked, how will you keep the cat from attacking again? She sure is a cute little thing! You have done a great job!

15. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Thanks! The cat won't be allowed outside till the kids are big enough to not be attacked anymore. Actually, he was already kept indoors after their birth knowing his track record, but he accidentally slipped out. It won't be a problem, he's trained to 'ask' when he needs *to go* so we just take him out with a leash...there's also a litter box inside. Did the same when our goat kidded

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    I'm so glad that Ianthe is recovering! :)

The cat sounds like something else! Can we see a pic of the fearsome beast?

18. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    IMG_20201219_065004.jpg
    Here you go...the fearsome beast;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  19. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Ok..so I don't know whether to be happy or sad. the kids mother is becoming more and more aggressive with her..hardly lets her nurse.shes also very hard to restrain. The owners cannot possibly care for a bottle baby so she said I can try for a few days to see if I can reunite her but then she'll have to give her away...I said I'll keep her, so that she can still visit mom. I can milk her mom as she's a pet, the owners don't drink the milk. But the problem is that Ianthe absolutely refuses to take a bottle...iv been syringe feeding her the last few days, but it's rather tiresome. Any way I can get her to take a bottle? Thanks again

MadHouse likes this.
  20. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You can place some honey on the teat.... also remember moms teat is elongated so you need to find one that is more or less the same. Destiny took a human bottle but Gizmo wanted a longer teat.... try coax her also by placing some honey on her pellet to get her sucking and then pop the teat in. Make the bottle about 101 degrees.... the milk may be too cold and she doesn't like it. Dont give up...