The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks for the advice:)
I do keep trying every feeding time, trying to wiggle it into her mouth, but she sort of chews it a bit and let's the milk dribble out of her mouth. Also, I make the milk very warm( not hot, just more than skin temp). Will try the honey next time, thanks Tanya.
Problem is, we don't have those Pritchard type teats for bottle feeding here... every one uses baby bottles. I tried two types of baby bottles till now...made the hole bigger and all. Guess I'll keep trying till she figures it out:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Yes, in regular human baby bottles you have to enlarge the hole to get it to act like a teat. The holes for humans don’t let enough milk flow so baby’s get frustrated. Enlarge the hole by cutting a tiny X in it or by using a hot needle to make it bigger. I bet that will help her like the bottle more.
In the US, we can buy medium or high flow nipples, if you can there, get both and see which she prefers. Best of luck

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yes, in regular human baby bottles you have to enlarge the hole to get it to act like a teat. The holes for humans don't let enough milk flow so baby's get frustrated. Enlarge the hole by cutting a tiny X in it or by using a hot needle to make it bigger. I bet that will help her like the bottle more.
In the US, we can buy medium or high flow nipples, if you can there, get both and see which she prefers. Best of luck
Thank you. Yes, I did make sure to enlarge the hole...the milk comes out easily...but she's still not that eager to drink from a bottle....she's still drinking from her mom, but it's quite difficult to restrain her and hassle to keep going to the neighbors yard, so I'm keeping up with trying to bottle feed her. She's improving...in tiny steps. We'll get there hopefully.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hi everyone...I'm back here after quite a while. I'm rather worried about Ianthe as she's not really the really thriving....she still hates the bottle, and I still try to get her used to it every meal time.it takes up to two hours two make her have one ounce on a bottle, and after that she starts screaming and struggling to get away.
She's become very thin the last two weeks...is it because she's still mainly fed with a syringe? I make sure to give her 12 percent of her body weight daily.. adjusting with gains in weight. She seems full after feedings. She gets mostly her mother's milk plus some fresh cows milk as there's not enough with her other two triplets nursing.
I tried all the tricks on the internet, bought another type of bottle with softer nipple...still no luck. She sucks on fingers, objects, fruits etc but not the bottle:(.
Now she nibbles on hay, leaves and grain a bit. I'm quite lost on what to do... should I just keep syringe feeding?
Thanks again

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
You might try a neoprene glove, like a medical glove. Put a tiny hole in the end of the small finger and knot the others shut. Put your milk in and see. It's going to be as close to an udder as you can get.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You might try a neoprene glove, like a medical glove. Put a tiny hole in the end of the small finger and knot the others shut. Put your milk in and see. It's going to be as close to an udder as you can get.
Thank you for the advice. I actually had tried the glove with a hole before, she puts it in her mouth if it's empty, but as soon as milk comes out, she spits it out. Tried it again today...no improvement.
Moreover she seems sick today...temp and poop are fine but she's huddling in a corner..not walking steadily..sliding on her front legs like before. She still nurses from mom once a day..but it's quite hard to keep her from getting kicked. Other times eats by syringe
Iv given her a vitamin b shot, a bit of selenium gel and a cod liver oil capsule a few hours ago

·
Registered
39 Posts
Poor baby,and I agree with previous comments over willingness to accept it could be your cat and helping,hope she makes,I would not normally think a bell or a collar even an elastic aged collar is. A good thing but maybe a bell might warn your other animals in the future.

Reactions: Aasiya

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Can you tie the doe up head and put a strap around her to maybe a fence. (strap in front of udder), then hold back legs and let kid nurse. Maybe 3 or 4 times a day. Offer feed while she is tied up? I'm just trying to think what would be easiest for you..
See I would not mind doing that at all..but the problem is, the other two kids nurse on the doe all day..so the only time I get some milk is if catch them early morning when they've just been let out...I milk out as much as I can (usually half a litre) for the rest of the day after letting Ianthe nurse.
Other times there's hardly any milk at all... probably the other two drink it up..and I can't very well ask their owner to keep the other kids from nursing as they're also just a month old....shes already being very nice, letting me go there whenever I want with Ianthe

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Today her temp is a tad high..like 103.5 and her poop seem like they're strung together? What could be the issue? Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is strung together the start of diarroah? Does one of the more experienced members know?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Can you get Nedo milk? It’s a concentrated cow milk product made by Nestle but I know it’s available overseas. It’s powdered, but it’s enriched and protein and vitamin packed. It’s also sweeter than plain milk and tastes more like fresh Goats milk straight from mom. You might try diluting some in the milk you’re using for her so there’s more nutrition in every ounce you get into her.

Has she been checked for coccidia? She’s at the right age for it. It might explain the stringy poo.

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
She's starving and she probably ate a long hair..
It's time to put her on bucket milk. It's not ideal but, it works.
Also start B complex to counteract the polio she's beginning.
And start cocci prevention immediately.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
String poop can also be intestinal shedding. Mucus. Coccidia. How old Is she? Is she on coccidia prevention?

I agree with Goathiker. Shes starving. She needs milk.. some babies are so bottle stubborn. I hate the idea of bucket feeding but her starving is worse. Milk still needs to be Measured and very warm.
A small amount of Calf mana can be added to a quality feed to increase nutrients.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thank you all for the advice. I will start her on the cocci meds. already giving her a relatively higher dose of vitamin b..she seems improved after the first shot. About her starving, she definitely seems like that but I'm confused about why she should starve when she's being fed 4× a day...and feels full in the stomach afterwards. Is it because syringe feeding is not good enough compared to a bottle?
I'll try to get her on a bucket though, as advised..but would appreciate some clarification. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
She weighs only 4lbs currently and gets about 0.5 litre of milk daily, divided into four feedings by syringe. This consists of her mother's milk three times a day..and fresh cows milk once

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Thanks again for the advice everyone....and apologies for disappearing like that...(WiFi was off for a couple days)
Ianthe is doing better now..I believe she's gained a bit of weight too. Her poop and temp are back to normal. She does eat some solid browse and nibbles grain when she's out with the herd...but hasn't figured out the bucket yet. She drinks water from a bowl but when I replace it with warm milk, she's not interested?not to mention now she runs at the sight of a bottle....
So it's back to syringe feeding for her, plus forcing mom to nurse her once a day:/
Anyways...I finally got the bottle of Totrazuril I had ordered ages ago ....it says it has 25 g toltrazuril per litre. Can anybody help with the correct preventative dose for a small baby like Ianthe? Thanks again:)

61 - 80 of 86 Posts