The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as you know Gizmo is almost 3 months old now and facing the weaning from the bottle. This is what I have noticed.
1. He has a longer face than Destiny.
2. His ears stick out to the side and the tips flip up slightly.
3. His lower jaw sticks out from his top jaw so slightly, and when he chews, its like he is playing with it and not munching on it.
4. He will run and play and jump with Destiny and suddenly flop over.
He shakes his head allot .

I have checked he has no mites. His size is fairly small from birth. He was the runt from triplets.
The vet checked for worms and parasites - nothing.
He is not poled as his horns are growing out.
He still has a high pitched cry. He isn't walking backwards and definitely bright eyed and healthy.

So what am I facing with him?

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Underbite, may be why he can't chew correctly, it isn't lined up.
As he gets older it may get worse.

Head shaking, did you check his ears for mites or just his body?
It is a possibility as to why his equilibrium is off perhaps, falling over?

Did the vet physically see him?
If not, I think it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@toth boer goats the vet physically checked him. No mites in the ears. He did mention the underbite. He wants to see if he can fix it through surgery. But he is still too small.
The previous owner did not notice the problem before I brought him home.
The little guy has an appatite.
The vet was very happy with his condition. Said he had never met a healthier goat. So I am confused.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
My little boy had an underbite from birth until 6 weeks old. Then it aligned itself.
With Gizmo’s horns coming so late, maybe he is a bit delayed in the jaw growth too.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is doing ok. I watched him intently today. It seems that he is off balance when he gets overly excited.
My i stincts are also telling me that he is a ND crossed with a fainter.
But I had the vet out today. He checked him again. He wants to do an xray and mri. He thinks if it isnt his breed it could be neurological.
But he is eating well and being a baby goat.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. So an update. Not neurological. Xrays and MRI were expensive but clear. Vet spoke to breeder today. He is a ND no cross.
We found that he has three teats? Vet recons its a genetic defect. We dont pedigree our goats so it is a common occurance.
I just gots to love his quirkyness

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Ok. So an update. Not neurological. Xrays and MRI were expensive but clear. Vet spoke to breeder today. He is a ND no cross.
We found that he has three teats? Vet recons its a genetic defect. We dont pedigree our goats so it is a common occurance.
I just gots to love his quirkyness
That's good news, isn't it!?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know when Corey was smaller, she was a horrible klutz, she was premie. So it could just be him being clumsy. She also took a weird amount of time learning how to chew. She'd just suck on the grass and then when she managed to get a piece off, roll it around in her mouth. You mentioned hes a runt, so it could just be him being a bit slower. I imagine with premies/runts, they didnt develop as much in the womb so they take a bit longer to be a normal baby, at least thats my assumption

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Davi. I agree with you. I think he is slow. He weaned quickly but took a while to get the idea that the pellets and grass are meant to go down the throat after chewing. He also drops his cudd every now and again. Its strange to watch him chew and a piece would pop out the side of his mouth.
But I love him. I will walk the distance with him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks Davi. I agree with you. I think he is slow. He weaned quickly but took a while to get the idea that the pellets and grass are meant to go down the throat after chewing. He also drops his cudd every now and again. Its strange to watch him chew and a piece would pop out the side of his mouth.
But I love him. I will walk the distance with him.
Oh my gosh what an adorable derp. I'm sure he'll get the hang of things eventually!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Oh...how we love our little oddballs. I do mine. Ive had a few premies. They ran a good month behind others. But their hearts are huge and they never gave up. At 6 months thet catch up. Lets face it...they are all akward at 6 to 9 month's.
Hang in their...this little guy may really be just fine later on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts