The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Had triplets 5 days ago. one of the berths was feet first and took a bit of time. This baby cant walk. he could barely stand for the first few days and only can stand for a few moments now but seems to be getting stronger slowly. He is missing the fur from both the fronts of his back legs around the knee area both legs are identical in terms of fur loss. the skin is hard almost tough in this area and has slight cracks where it bends for the knee. He crawls around to feed the poor little guy. I have drenched him twice with 1cc of liquid nutrients as we don't have the same products here in oz. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marce

Attachments

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Karen. The selenium is in the nutrients that I have given him.Agree with you Definitely something that's happened inside the womb. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm hoping he will be able to walk eventually :confused:

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
It kind of looks like the skin didn't close in those areas, I would definitely use some moisturizing healing ointment on him. Like Comfrey or Aloe maybe...

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
first time for me as well....hows your copper there?? its def. a birth defect..but knowing what caused it would be nice. first thing I thought of was a mummified stillborn...but just the legs????

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My goats get very good nutrients always, they are fed a high quality grain stud mix with all the added nutrients mixed in. I mix the feed 50/50 with a lucerrn/oten and weatrn chaff mix and molasses . In addition to this I so add add a loose/powder nutrient mix. I also give a high quality liquid nutrient drench that I give my herd quarterly I ALS give herd a top quality lucerrn hay 3 x per week. The herd also has top quality pasture and roughage available at all times

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Do you have something like bag balm? It would make the skin more pliable and less painful. Also vit e capsules that you break open and apply it directly to the skin. But i too have never seen this.

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your advice enchantedgoats. I bought some 99% aloe gell today as goat hiker suggested, I will look into the the bag balm and viatimin e next. Keep the suggestions coming. This boy needs all the help we can give him .He is doing well considering,Nursing well,he seems to have such a strong will despite his disability. so sad not to see him walk like his bro and sis.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
you can whip up coconut oil, add vit e gel ...this makes a nice balm for udders as well ...I would have a qualified vet look at him...you need to know if this can become worse as he grows and stretches..is it going to keep him crippled? is it connected to any other disease that will worsen with age...there are many questions to consider for quality of life...

best wishes

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!

Ok I ended up taking the little guy to the Vet about a week after he was born. The vet had never seen anything like it before ever. He ruled out any vitamin or nutrient defences.His prognosis wasn't good. He thought he would always have problems and that the fur would never grow back over his knees.regardless I still asked if we could treat him. I got a corse of antibiotics from him.

6 weeks since birth now and what a improvement!:cool: he is walking,jumping playing,running and doing everything a kid goat normally does including mounting his brother and sis:eek: biggest news his his fur has almost all grown over the bald areas. You can barely tell:thumbup:

I've been feeling quite happy about the whole thing. Some people were writing him off including the vet!

I post this so we can all learn from this and never give up!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That is great!!

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Hows your boy doing??

·
558 Posts
Thank you for updating us!! So nice to hear a happy ending!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts