The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I am a new goat owner. I have a 3 month old boer mixed with Kiko. She has a watery diarreah that isn't going away. The vet gave me Albon which I gave her and her sister for 4 days (the vet just told me he doesn't have any more Albon to give me) he also sent fecal test to another lab 4 days ago but haven't received test results.
Anyways the vet doesn't seem to care and he refuses to give me a prescription for me to purchase the medication. Now both baby goats have lots and lots of watery diarreah when initially only 1 had it. I am giving them electrolytes, vitamins, water, hay.
Can anyone please help me I can't give them Corid because last time they got polio from it. Do you think the watery diarreah could be from something else other than coccidia?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
What color poops? May have more than coccidia, stomach worms can run havvac on their system...
Definitely try scour halt for pigs but we akso need to address their tummies fast
I would give Tummy Tamer 4 times a day with fresh raw garlic blended in. This will address parasites, cocciida and tame the irritated tummy.
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Ginger
Slippery elm
Cinnamon
Clove(for coccidia)
Apple cider Vinegar
Molasses
20-30cc water
Blend all well with 1-2 fresh raw garlic cloves. Do this 4 times a day. If the amount is just too much per dose..cut in half and give 8 times.
Keep baby hydrated by offering both fresh water and electrolytes.
I would also be giving cd antitoxin every 12 hours and B complex injectable once daily.

Hopefully fecal will reveal what they are dealing with. If vet can't get more albon. Ask for a dose of Marquis for horses. It's a little pricey but one dose..booster in 10 days along with the tummy tamer should help with coccodia. If they also have other parasites I would choose Cydectin sheep drench. Do not give Cydectin cattle pour in (purple stuff) this can push them over the wrong edge.

Best wishes

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
For Slippery elm..most pharmacies carry in capsules. Good for in a pinch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply. The color is brown very watering with smell. I will get all the ingredients as soon as possible. Thank you again

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Reactions: Goatowne

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Dark brown to black poop can indicate parasite load. Smelly is more coccidia issue. Albon is a good treatment for that and should have been 5 days. Hopefully the fecal test come back today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello
You are so right about everything lab just came back it indicated she has heavy load of coccidia plus whip worms. So the vet just gave me Albon ( different color from the one he gave me before) plus a white worm. Also, i have gathered some of the ingredients you recommended me looking for the slippery elm . I really appreciate your help thank you.

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Albon is good. Be sure dose is correct for goats, generally 1 cc per 5 pounds day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5. The Tummy tamer will help a bunch too...Good Luck!!! SO glad you have a direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does your vet or feed store have SpectoGard Scour-Chek? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bimeda-spectogard-scour-chek-240-ml Dosage is 6 ml per day for 3 days. You can split the 6 ml into 3 ml twice a day. They should be getting probiotics daily as well, just don't give probiotics at the same time that you give the scour chek. Try that in addition to everything @happybleats suggested.

Are they drinking? What are their temperatures?
Hello
I am new to the entire goat world. I didn't know about Spectogard I will order it online. Lab test are back with lots of coccidia and whip worm. Thank you and all of you for your help.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
@21goaties @ksalvagno

I am new to the entire goat world. I didn't know about Spectogard I will order it online. Lab test are back with lots of coccidia and whip worm.
So the vet just gave me Albon ( different color from the one he gave me before) plus a white worm.
Would SpectoGard/Neomycin still be necessary to administered under these circumstances? If the answer is yes, what would be the time frame needed to separate this dosing from the deworming dosages? Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
For me, i prefer to give meds a day or two to work if baby is not weak and down. Less in the tummy is best usually. But if weak..stopping scours asap is necessary.

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
I am always pretty pleased by the combo of Spectoguard and a coccidia med. They seem to work well together. I hate to use the word synergistic - because I like to reserve that for herbs and natural treatments, but there is something there and when a goat is scouring and has been suffering from the problem for quite a while, the combo works well.

I agree, though - treat ASAP.

·
Administrator
84,528 Posts
If a goat has cocci, start corid or another treatment preferred right away.

When they have scours, my goal after starting treatment would be, is to stop scouring as soon as possible and will give pig scour halt right away.

Pig scourhalt will not treat cocci but seems to work to help stop scouring on difficult cases already being treated by proper meds.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
@21goaties @ksalvagno

Would SpectoGard/Neomycin still be necessary to administered under these circumstances? If the answer is yes, what would be the time frame needed to separate this dosing from the deworming dosages? Thanks for your advice.
I would go ahead and give spectogard with the other treatments if the goat has scours that are not stopping.

·
Registered
31,401 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I am always pretty pleased by the combo of Spectoguard and a coccidia med. They seem to work well together. I hate to use the word synergistic - because I like to reserve that for herbs and natural treatments, but there is something there and when a goat is scouring and has been suffering from the problem for quite a while, the combo works well.

I agree, though - treat ASAP.
There may be 1 (one) exclusion towards automatically combing coccidia meds with Spectoguard to counteract scouring.

So the vet just gave me Albon
Albon is a low-dosage, rapidly absorbed, long-acting sulfonamide, effective for the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections commonly encountered
Source: Drugs.com/vet

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
There may be 1 (one) exclusion towards automatically combing coccidia meds with Spectoguard to counteract scouring.
I didn't say automatically. I try never to use Spectoguard, I don't actually 'like' it. I was simply saying that in certain cases, I've seen it create positive results. That is all. Was not a treatment recommendation or my statement of a chosen protocol. I try never to stop diarrhea with meds, that's my personal philosophy. I'm curious about which exclusion you are thinking of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts