The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be having trouble growing by baby Boer goats. I have dewormed both of them but they don't seem to be growing normally. I feed them a mixture of poulin Boer goat feed, purina sweet feed, sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets, cracked corn and beet pulp.. they get hay 24/7. they have a protein pale and salt blo
Fence Tree Sky Working animal Dog breed
ck. I also leave free choice minerals... is there anything I'm missing??? They are about 14 weeks and are not very big. If I were to give an estimate of weight I would say about 20-25 LBS

Attachments

·
14,802 Posts
They look good and healthy in the pictures IMO. Is their dam smaller framed? The babies look like they are fairly good size next to her - it's hard to tell from pictures sometimes. If you are able, get a scale - even a bathroom scale, weigh yourself, or helper, then you or helper hold baby and get weight, then subtract you or helpers weight to get babies weight.

Some Questions:
Is Dad full blood Boer? Big, small?
You said you dewormed them, did you do a fecal to ensure that the dewormer worked? If not that's where I would start.

How much feed are you feeding them? Our kids get creep feed starting at 4 weeks - I try to keep feed out for them 24/7 and when we wean we basically keep feed out so they can eat when they want. When they get about 6 months or so we'll just feed them well 2x a day (depending on if they are being shown or are done showing).
Our kids are weighing an average of about 47-60lbs at 10 weeks old. So I am wondering if maybe you are off on the weight - it can really be hard to guess when looking at Boer kids.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I leave grain for them 24/7. I will get back with you on the exact weight. Dad is full Boer and one the bigger side. I sent out a fecal test and have not received the results back yet. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seller gave them stuff for coccidia. What do you recommend for coccidia?? Or is there anything I can give them just to make sure??

·
Registered
266 Posts
If their dam is Boer X or on the smaller side this could affect their size too. I have a Boer X doe who is pretty small-framed and her kids grow really well, however, they are nowhere near as big-framed and heavy as full Boers and that is to be expected when breeding smaller goats.

·
14,802 Posts
Pam's suggestion of CoRid might be the easiest thing to get if you need to treat for Cocci - it's over the counter. A lot of the medications are Vet Rx, and a lot of them like the Sulfa based meds are very hard to get. We use Sulfadimethoxine on our kids, and it is extremely hard to find right now - not sure if it's because of an ingredient issue they are having trouble getting, production or if it's anything at all linked to Covid 19/China.

If I had to guess, I'd say just by going off of pictures those kids look to be at least 50lbs or more. Just guessing. Now I am super curious lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts