The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there our baby goat has had a bump on its upper back since we got him. It has now opened and drained and I am concerned it is CL after doing some research and was wondering if anyone had advice or knowledge with this.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
The only way to know is getting it tested.
Bump

Hopefully some one can help.

Welcome to TGS. Nice looking babies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I don’t know much about goats I must admit these are our first. I didn’t know if they could have it this young / show symptoms or if that was a spot where a lymph node was!

·
Fair-Haven
4,797 Posts
Agree, I would think unlikely in that location. Just keep clean and dry. And I did notice baby is very down on his pasterns, pointing to selenium deficiency, so I would give some selenium, either Bo-Se or the gel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree, I would think unlikely in that location. Just keep clean and dry. And I did notice baby is very down on his pasterns, pointing to selenium deficiency, so I would give some selenium, either Bo-Se or the gel.
Thank you for the advice! Will definitely do that. Do goats get abscesses often? When researching all that seemed to come up was CL. I went back and looked at pictures prior to getting him and he has had it since at-least 6 weeks-8 weeks which seems so young. It’s also taken over a month to open up. Poor babe!

·
8,248 Posts
Goats can get absesses but I wouldn't say often, (unless they have CL) but, they seem to get them when they get shots if the shot goes between the skin layers and not under it. They can
get thorns from hay that may cause a mouth abscess, a nail sticking out, or a sliver of wood that they rub on. Just keep it cleaned out and make sure
flies don't get in it and lay eggs. Make sure his tetanus shots are up to date, too. He is a cute little guy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Goats can get absesses but I wouldn't say often, (unless they have CL) but, they seem to get them when they get shots if the shot goes between the skin layers and not under it. They can
get thorns from hay that may cause a mouth abscess, a nail sticking out, or a sliver of wood that they rub on. Just keep it cleaned out and make sure
flies don't get in it and lay eggs. Make sure his tetanus shots are up to date, too. He is a cute little guy!
Thank you! Will keep it clean. Hoping it’s nothing more than a random one. Wondering if it’s maybe from a shot where he’s had it since he was so little?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts