The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubian Kid that my mom asked me to try to save... when it was 1 day old its mom stepped on its jaw... several teeth on the right half of the jaw have totally fallen out.... is it possible with the trauma to the jaw that the teeth will eventually grow back in... he is now 12 days old and taking about 16 oz per feeding... his mouth on that side of his face has a slight droop to it similar to that of a stroke patient in the human world... but he is strong willed... the jaw was not broken .... just lost half the teeth on one side :shrug: wondering what the next step should be... he's been seen by the vet already... the vet is ok with small animals but his first recommendation was to put him down... i don't want to if he has a chance.... any advice?

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Thats a hard one,..If his jaw was not broke..why does it droop I wonder? Like us, goats have baby teeth which are replaced as they grow...so I would say yes..he will get new teeth in...BUT wether with the damage tot he jaw they wil grow correctly, that is hard to say...

Is he eating well, no trouble with taking a bottle? Gaining weight, playful, pooping and peeing well? No infection on the jaw? what is his temp? 101.5-103.5 is normal range...
How much does he weight...16 oz per feeding at 12 days might be a bit much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its not the jaw its self that is drooping its the mouth/lip area on that side... he's a very active healthy little guy... temp was 101.8. no sign of infection... pooping and peeing wonderfully... runs and jumps around.... i tried to not give him that much at one time but he seems hungry on less after he nurses the bottle... his ability to nurse does not seem to be hinder by the jaw

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I say if he's doing well there is no reason to put him down.

While he's nursing he is fine and if he has trouble with the jaw later he can be fed soaked alfalfa pellets and various types of mash. If he's otherwise healthy and friendly raise him as a companion animal; he can always find a good pet home with people who won't mind his special needs. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
sounds like you are doing a great job with him..I would stick with what you are doing, he sounds healthy...hopefully he will get his bg boy teeth in time

with bottle babies ( who always seem hungy and will eat them self sick!) you want to go by feel...tummy should be flat yet firm not sunken in or pooching out...usually 10% of his weight in OZ

heres how to get that number
weigh him then multiply his weight by 16 to get his weight in OZ...then multiply that by 10% to see how much he should have in a day..then divide that into 3-4 bottles...you can fudge that around some+/- based on how his tummy feels..

so lets say he is 15#

15x16=240 oz
240x 10%=24 oz a day
divide by 3 feedings= 8 oz

so a 15# baby need 3 /8oz bottles a day...

It doesnt sound like a lot but too much milk cant get digested and can sit in the tummy and become toxic..

Best wishes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your advice.... I will do that Cathy... he always feels like a water ballon when he gets done eating.... and Axykatt that was what my feelings where too but I wanted to be sure I was making the right choice... I my self have the hardest time putting down any animal just because they have special needs... last winter we fostered a little Foxtrotter Gelding that was about 450 pounds under weight and couldn't get up on his own... the vets wanted to put him down but we used a pallet on the forks of the tractor to get him up several times a day , feed him good made sure he was warm and had plenty of water... he is now a riding gelding for a local family and is doing wonderful... Its hard to put an animal down when it has the will to live and is fighting to survive right along side you... Thank you both for your advice and kind words :angelgoat:

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Yes that full belly can bad..lol..they will literally eat thm self to death ...they love their milk..but if you watch a mom goat..she lets them suck only a few minutes at a time several times a day...since this is not practicle for us to do lol...we have to measure what they need and only give them that...he will throw a fit....but its healthier..I picked up three one month old nigerian does..the breeder was feeding 10 oz 3 times a day...Oh my ...they are so tiny to be drinking so much at once...I did the 10% and ended up giving 3 oz 4 times a time...WHAT a difference...they were more playful, active...ate more hay and began grain, they are now up to 7 oz, 2 times a day...they are almost 3 months now and doing fantastic!...our next drop will be the night bottle...we will not increase milk int heone bottle..just drop the one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you all for your kind thoughts.... Cathy I weighed him and he weighs nearly 12# , so he should only be getting 4.5 oz 4 times a day .... thats a big difference from what I am feeding him now... I will start him on that.... thanks so much for all your help... i will post some pics in the next few days for you all to see the little cutie :grin:

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Grat job!!. I look forward to seeing pix..we love to drool over goats pix here : )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.