The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 month old nigerian dwarf goat that can’t seem to pee! i’ve heard of this in wethers, but never 2 month old bucks!? He stands with his legs all together and back really hunched and just stares. when he lays down, he lays on his side and then occasionally just screams. my heart hurts for him. the opening of where he pees seems swollen maybe?? also there is a white crusty substance around it. I’m afraid he’s not peed all day, and I can’t lose him, he’s my favorite . any advice of what i should do?? we have a vet on the way that we’ve used once before, and the last time she seemed really aggressive with her treatment and that makes me pretty nervous for this time since we lost the last baby goat. Also any chance this could be just a bad infection or something?? i’m hoping for the best, and honestly just have no idea what i should do!

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
you can try warm compresses and massage the sheath to see if he can pee

·
Registered
262 Posts
The vet may have seemed aggressive because this is indeed life or death for the little guy.
If this has happened before, you need to figure out what might be a common trend. Several big factors contribute to this condition.
Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he also has a fever of 104
I have a 2 month old nigerian dwarf goat that can't seem to pee! i've heard of this in wethers, but never 2 month old bucks!? He stands with his legs all together and back really hunched and just stares. when he lays down, he lays on his side and then occasionally just screams. my heart hurts for him. the opening of where he pees seems swollen maybe?? also there is a white crusty substance around it. I'm afraid he's not peed all day, and I can't lose him, he's my favorite . any advice of what i should do?? we have a vet on the way that we've used once before, and the last time she seemed really aggressive with her treatment and that makes me pretty nervous for this time since we lost the last baby goat. Also any chance this could be just a bad infection or something?? i'm hoping for the best, and honestly just have no idea what i should do!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet may have seemed aggressive because this is indeed life or death for the little guy.
If this has happened before, you need to figure out what might be a common trend. Several big factors contribute to this condition.
Hoping for the best.
No the situation with vet was with a different goat with a different problem. She just pumped her full of all kinds of different medicines and it made a little uneasy i guess. This problem hasn't happened before

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Wow, never heard of Urinary Calculi in a buckling so young, only two months. The fever makes me think there is something else going on. What is his diet? Have you seen him poop?

I'd apply very hot compresses to his urinary tract and also give a very warm enema. My first guess is Enterotoxemia with the laying on side screaming. Usually a buck straining to pee does not hunch together, it stretches out and strains back legs.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yes any age of goat either sex can have urinary calculi. Just as humans can have urinary tract infections. Get Ammonium chloride. Its to help prevent this from happening again. Its when the calcium phosphorus ratio is out of balance. This will help after the vet gets finished removing the blockadge. It looks awful, but thr removal of the pizel does not hurt his reproductive abilities. He will recover. Just give him the Ammonium chloride at least once a day for a week. Then every other day ,once a day. You can go up to 4 days or once a week giving the Ammonium chloride as he grows older.

·
14,760 Posts
How's your baby? Did the vet make it out?
We've lost 2 bucklings to Urinary Calculi over the years, sadly I think it was a genetic issue as they were both from the same dam a year apart and both died at about 8 weeks old - so yes it can definitely happen at that young of an age. I think some are just very prone to it no matter what. Ironically we were feeding a weaning pellet those 2 particular years, not sure that had anything to do with it, but we've not used that particular feed outside of those 2 years.
We topdress our boys feed with Ammonium Chloride, and planning to put Apple Cider Vinegar in the water as an added precaution because all our boys are on full feed (plus grass & alfalfa hays) since some of them will be shown if we have summer shows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, never heard of Urinary Calculi in a buckling so young, only two months. The fever makes me think there is something else going on. What is his diet? Have you seen him poop?

I'd apply very hot compresses to his urinary tract and also give a very warm enema. My first guess is Enterotoxemia with the laying on side screaming. Usually a buck straining to pee does not hunch together, it stretches out and strains back legs.
I will try the hot compresses. The vet came and she was working trying to see if she could get anything, and as she massaged the sheath, brown sludge came out??? It almost looked like blood clots or something. It bled for a little bit, but seemed to dilute as pee came out. It was a little blood tinged, but he definitely felt a lot less bloated on his sides afterwards! Hopefully the problem is fixed now??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try the hot compresses. The vet came and she was working trying to see if she could get anything, and as she massaged the sheath, brown sludge came out??? It almost looked like blood clots or something. It bled for a little bit, but seemed to dilute as pee came out. It was a little blood tinged, but he definitely felt a lot less bloated on his sides afterwards! Hopefully the problem is fixed now??
Also to answer your first question, his
Has he had any CD/T vaccinations? Was his dam vaccinated? Entero can happen even with the vaccines, but just wondering.
His dam was due for a booster, but yes I gave him his CDT at about 2-3 weeks of age

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How's your baby? Did the vet make it out?
We've lost 2 bucklings to Urinary Calculi over the years, sadly I think it was a genetic issue as they were both from the same dam a year apart and both died at about 8 weeks old - so yes it can definitely happen at that young of an age. I think some are just very prone to it no matter what. Ironically we were feeding a weaning pellet those 2 particular years, not sure that had anything to do with it, but we've not used that particular feed outside of those 2 years.
We topdress our boys feed with Ammonium Chloride, and planning to put Apple Cider Vinegar in the water as an added precaution because all our boys are on full feed (plus grass & alfalfa hays) since some of them will be shown if we have summer shows.
Hi! He seems to be doing okay now! The vet came and she was working trying to see if she could get anything, and as she massaged the sheath, brown sludge came out??? It almost looked like blood clots or something. It bled for a little bit, but seemed to dilute as pee came out. It was a little blood tinged, but he definitely felt a lot less bloated on his sides afterwards! Hopefully the problem is fixed now?? She also gave me some ammonium chloride for him, so i'll definitely be using that!

·
8,161 Posts
Is he weaned? Make sure he is drinking enough water. (Just not water from a bottle). Sometimes they like warm water, especially the younger ones. I hope he continues to get better.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I'm glad the vet was able to get him some relief. Unfortunately it's most likely no over for him. There maybe other stones he has in there. Start him on ammonia chloride ASAP.i would do treatment then settle into prevention. Make sure his diet is 2:1.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad the vet was able to get him some relief. Unfortunately it's most likely no over for him. There maybe other stones he has in there. Start him on ammonia chloride ASAP.i would do treatment then settle into prevention. Make sure his diet is 2:1.
sadly he didn't make it. we got an autopsy done and they said that his bladder was completely full and full of sludge. we tried everything we knew to do but sadly it wasn't enough :(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts