baby goat poo...help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lizzy_18, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    so my 29hour old baby buck just did the whole "bathroom" experience. he did the black tar the he went straight to the yellow poop... but now when he goes he kinda yells and it comes out thick and sticky but not in a kinda baby sold poop.(i have to wipe his butt off with a towel).is that ok as long as it does not get drippy wet??! :shrug:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    As long as it doesn't get a foul smell to it he should be fine... maybe mommas milk is just a little rich. :)

3. The first poo should be dark and then it should turn to the yellowish color. So far you are having a normal kidding.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it wont be pellets for a while and it will be a sticky yellow goo like stuff - gross but thats normal

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

Sticky yellow poo is normal, as everyone said. . . my kids like to 'wipe' their behinds on each other so when I pick them up/ give them a hug I get it on my hands and on my shirt!!! :hair:

6. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    phew ok... this is my 1st time bottle feeding and rasing kids...geeze im stressed out :ZZZ: :doh: well it kinda just smells like chicken poo witch im guessing is ok... :?

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are you mixing replacer or did you transition to whole cows milk? Baby poop til they're a week old is normally the consistancy of toothpaste until they start nibbling hay....even at just a couple days old, if they are not with mom and in their own area you should have hay available for them.

8. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    im still on the colostrum supplement. i will be moving on to either whole cow milk or goats milk (from a friend) soon... when should i and i forgot how much u said for me to start mixing in with the colostrum supplement... (do i need to start mixing tom?) :whatgoat:

9. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    oh ya and they are 2 days old!! :applaud: :stars: :applaud:

10. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:D Glad they are doing ok! :)

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Colostrum is only beneficial to a kid for the first 24-36 hours, if you can get goats milk in continuous supply that would be best so that you wouldn't need to transition by mixing in small amounts per feeding.

12. Lizzy_18

Lizzy_18 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    really...ok sweet...ill try and get the "reall" milk then!! thanks so much...but if i cant get the real stuff how much do i mix in??!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Start out with 1oz milk to 2 oz replacer for 3-4 feedings then go to 1 1/2 oz milk to 2 oz replacer for the next 3-4 feedings til it's 2oz milk and 1 1/2oz replacer for 3-4 feedings then back off the replacer totally so the bottle is just milk after 3 to 4 days

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can also use formula -- I like Land o Lakes - or whole cows milk