The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out with the types of baby goat poops? I know in the beginning that they will get there colostrum and pass the "rectal plug'' the first poop. And after that I get lost. They say if they are drinking too much they will have watery yellowish type of poop. But I'm not sure what to think. I also have in mind that it could be coccidia. Could that be it? View attachment 200097 View attachment 200091 View attachment 200095 View attachment 200093

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they are 2 weeks old. Do you think it's anything serious?
It was dark when I took the picture. I will take more tomorrow.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can only see the first attachment and I haven't seen that in goat kids before but can say that diarrhea can be caused by coccidiosis, as you suspect, viruses, toxic substances, bacteria, worms -- a whole host of things. Have you taken a temperature and are they acting normal otherwise?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Well they are 2 weeks old. Do you think it's anything serious?
It was dark when I took the picture. I will take more tomorrow.
Are they starting to eat more solid foods? That can cause different poops to happen at this age. And mom is not cleanin this kid well. My dams at two weeks are still cleanin poop for the most part very well.

·
8,067 Posts
Could be drinking a bit too much milk. Use baby wet wipes and clean up the hind end, then wait and see what the poop looks like. If it is loose- Scour Halt for pigs might help.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Yep okay I see one photo now. They shouldn't be that messy at two weeks old so yes those poops are too loose. Make sure hay and water are within their reach. I would say coccidia is a possibility. Scour Halt (a red liquid in the pig section of the feed store) is not a bad idea. Ecoli is typical when slightly younger but still also possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only see the first attachment and I haven't seen that in goat kids before but can say that diarrhea can be caused by coccidiosis, as you suspect, viruses, toxic substances, bacteria, worms -- a whole host of things. Have you taken a temperature and are they acting normal otherwise?
I took their temperature and it was 103. I cleaned them up a bit. They are starting to eat hay and picking thing off the ground.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning I took the temperature of one of the other babys that I didnt take yesterday and he was at 98. Is that too low for a baby?

·
Registered
29,973 Posts
98 is too low. If he was laying down and mornings are cool I would get him up and moving then recheck his temp. If still low..need to get him warmed up. I can't see the pix but if poop is yellow but runny could be milk scours or ecoli..ecoli poop is normally watery..baby squirts it right out..milk scours will smell sour and may have undigested milk lumps in it. As long as temps are good .I give a pinch of baking soda (which they hate lol) and watch to see changes. But if super watery a few squirts of scourhalt won't hurt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thoughtout the day I didnt have time to go and check again bit I'll right now. I'm looking at them and they are all out jumping and running.

·
8,067 Posts
If they were running around, 103 is probably right! After sleeping, the temp will be low and after running and jumping, it should be higher.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts