Baby goat problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tuma, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    Hi, I’m new here and have a huge problem. So my 1.5 Month old baby goat is doing terribly, she didn’t receive any colostrum from when she was born because she was a bit premature and her mother barely had any milk. I’ve been bottle feeding her ever since.

At first she was fine then she got a random wound on her front leg which the doctor treated badly, it got infected and had puss so he had to treat it a second time. It healed but her overall health took a hit, she struggled to walk and couldn’t do much past that.

Fast forward to now and she can’t walk at all, her neck is slightly bent to the side, her back legs seize up and she doesn’t use them. She has these fits where she’ll randomly lick at nothing, she sometimes gets very vocal when I flip her over. However, she still has her appetite, she is alert, her ears and tail are up and perky and when I support her back legs she will walk - usually in circles.

I don’t want to give up on her. The same vet has seen her twice since and the first time he gave her a multivitamin shot with some other medication and today he gave her again a multivitamin shot and a shot of penicillin.

Can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong with her and perhaps suggest what I can do? I don’t have access to much round these parts.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did she get a CDT shot? With getting a cut, tetanus comes to mind.

Tuma and GoofyGoat like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    No she didn’t. If I can’t find that here is there anything else I can do to help her?

5. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    No... treating for tetanus really is the only thing you can do. Here is what the godmother says:
    https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/tetanus.html

It's really recommended for all your goats to have at least the CDT vaccination to avoid tetanus issues like this may be. Once everyone is vaccinated , you are good to go until about 4 weeks before kidding. The mom will pass the antibodies to the littles through the milk; You then vaccinate them around 6-8 weeks, and a booster 3-4 weeks later.

Tuma and littleheathens like this.
  6. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    I’ll see if my vet has it. Plus my goats are tagged so now I’m concerned about the entire flock. Thank you all!

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    DO NOT give the CDT vaccine! Protection will not kick in for weeks!

You should give the tetanus antitoxin. NOT the toxoid. ANTI toxin!

Can you get a name of the multi vitamin shot?

I am also feeling selenium is needed here.

8. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Good point to spell that out ; I should have pointed out that the vaccine is too late to make a difference but I assumed that was a given. Thanks @NigerianDwarfOwner707 . I think it's time for @Tuma to find a new vet perhaps.

Tuma and NigerianDwarfOwner707 like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It's time for vets to be better educated :(

Tuma likes this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    P.S., the godmother??

Michaela Van Mecl likes this.
  11. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Lol! Yeah , onion creek ranch and fiasco farms I loving refer to as the godmothers . They're a great quick source of information to suppliments all the experienced owners on here.

And yeah... Vets are really incompetent when it comes to goats. It's really frustrating.

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    OCR has good info, slightly outdated occasionally, and I've heard some stories of her being quite rude to those asking for help.

Fiasco farms has not owned goats in ages, Molly does not have very updated knowledge.

Try Deborah Niemann (Thrifty Homesteader) for more updated info!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The goat spot is the best place to come for updated info.
    Some goat websites mentioned are very outdated and are not correct on some things. ;)

14. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    I’ll ask my vet in the morning, thanks for the clarification. Can I give the vaccine to the tagged goats or is that too late too?

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What country are you in? You can vaccinate your other goats.

16. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    Africa

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Tuma in Africa goats are hardier than you think. But yes if you can find another vet you should. Here where I am I have a livestock vet. He loves the goats. That is his speciality. Good luck.

Tuma and happybleats like this.
  18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Hows babies temperature? Swollen joints?

Tuma likes this.
  19. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    A morgue?! That's so sad.

What's the minimum age for cdt vaccinations? i know some shepherds say 4-6 weeks, 60 days, some 90 but I don't know what is standard for kids. If there is one.

Tuma likes this.
  20. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    Thanks but I’m not sure if that’s universally true. It’s been a battle with my entire herd hence my showing up here. He is great with cattle and other livestock. You are very lucky to have access to a good goat vet.

She had a slight fever but it could be due to the penicillin shot, her front joints were swollen but they’ve since gone down a bit, her back legs are limp and she can’t walk on them at all.

To add to these questions: if it’s not tetanus will she die if she gets the antitoxin shot?