The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’m new here and have a huge problem. So my 1.5 Month old baby goat is doing terribly, she didn’t receive any colostrum from when she was born because she was a bit premature and her mother barely had any milk. I’ve been bottle feeding her ever since.

At first she was fine then she got a random wound on her front leg which the doctor treated badly, it got infected and had puss so he had to treat it a second time. It healed but her overall health took a hit, she struggled to walk and couldn’t do much past that.

Fast forward to now and she can’t walk at all, her neck is slightly bent to the side, her back legs seize up and she doesn’t use them. She has these fits where she’ll randomly lick at nothing, she sometimes gets very vocal when I flip her over. However, she still has her appetite, she is alert, her ears and tail are up and perky and when I support her back legs she will walk - usually in circles.

I don’t want to give up on her. The same vet has seen her twice since and the first time he gave her a multivitamin shot with some other medication and today he gave her again a multivitamin shot and a shot of penicillin.

Can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong with her and perhaps suggest what I can do? I don’t have access to much round these parts.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
473 Posts
No she didn't. If I can't find that here is there anything else I can do to help her?
No... treating for tetanus really is the only thing you can do. Here is what the godmother says:
https://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/tetanus.html

It's really recommended for all your goats to have at least the CDT vaccination to avoid tetanus issues like this may be. Once everyone is vaccinated , you are good to go until about 4 weeks before kidding. The mom will pass the antibodies to the littles through the milk; You then vaccinate them around 6-8 weeks, and a booster 3-4 weeks later.

·
Registered
473 Posts
DO NOT give the CDT vaccine! Protection will not kick in for weeks!

You should give the tetanus antitoxin. NOT the toxoid. ANTI toxin!

Can you get a name of the multi vitamin shot?

I am also feeling selenium is needed here.
Good point to spell that out ; I should have pointed out that the vaccine is too late to make a difference but I assumed that was a given. Thanks @NigerianDwarfOwner707 . I think it's time for @Tuma to find a new vet perhaps.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,514 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,514 Posts
Lol! Yeah , onion creek ranch and fiasco farms I loving refer to as the godmothers . They're a great quick source of information to suppliments all the experienced owners on here.

And yeah... Vets are really incompetent when it comes to goats. It's really frustrating.
OCR has good info, slightly outdated occasionally, and I've heard some stories of her being quite rude to those asking for help.

Fiasco farms has not owned goats in ages, Molly does not have very updated knowledge.

Try Deborah Niemann (Thrifty Homesteader) for more updated info!

·
Super Moderator
32,232 Posts
Hows babies temperature? Swollen joints?

Reactions: Tuma

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
@Tuma in Africa goats are hardier than you think. But yes if you can find another vet you should. Here where I am I have a livestock vet. He loves the goats. That is his speciality. Good luck.
Thanks but I'm not sure if that's universally true. It's been a battle with my entire herd hence my showing up here. He is great with cattle and other livestock. You are very lucky to have access to a good goat vet.

Hows babies temperature? Swollen joints?
She had a slight fever but it could be due to the penicillin shot, her front joints were swollen but they've since gone down a bit, her back legs are limp and she can't walk on them at all.

What's the minimum age for cdt vaccinations? i know some shepherds say 4-6 weeks, 60 days, some 90 but I don't know what is standard for kids. If there is one.
To add to these questions: if it's not tetanus will she die if she gets the antitoxin shot?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts