Baby goat problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tuma, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No. She won't die from an anti-toxin shot.

Tuma and toth boer goats like this.
  2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    A tetanus antitoxin shot will not harm her.

Joint ill came to mind. Symptoms are one or more joints swollen. Often high fever. May have infected naval area.

Treatment is 10 full days of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory such as banamine. Which is 3 days once a day then assess if a few more days are needed.
    Bactrim is the best antibiotics for this if you can get it.
    Joint/naval ill can develop around 3 weeks to a month after birth or infection.

3. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    I’ll try both and hope something works.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    I’m bumping this up because everything has sorted itself out except for her back legs. She can’t support her weight on them at all. Her legs simply crumble under her if I let her put any weight on them, they also bend at the last joint so I’ve splinted her lower half.

Vet says I build her a harness but I hear that’s bad for her long term. Has anyone had an issue like this before? Can it be resolved?

5. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Has she had any selenium? A lack of it can cause the problems you are still dealing with.

Tuma likes this.
  6. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    Is that available in a multivitamin or something separate?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Building her a harness will help her get up. And you can work her legs for her.

If she is down too long, it won't help her progress.

Tuma and R.Williamson like this.
  8. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Speak with your vet about dosing with Bo Se. I mention the vet consult because I do not know everything to a T on what has been given or not given to the kid since birth. I also do not know the selenium levels in your area and your local vet would be better able to advise on that regard

9. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    Alright, thanks to both of you.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Try and keep her propped up on her chest, don't let her lay flat. Exercise her back legs gently and frequently throughout the day. Lay her over a bale of hay (straw, bag of feed, etc) to help with her strength and range of motion with her back legs. A shot of Vitamins A, D and E might help along with the Bo-Se (selenium). An anti inflammatory may also help, especially if there is spinal swelling impinging on the nerves.

Tuma likes this.
  11. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    We made a sling for a bigger animal with sawhorses and an old Crazy Creek style camp chair that worked great. I'd have used a weighing sling if I had one. Keep her upright rather than laying on her side with bales, bags, etc.

We, my human family, consume a lot of turmeric and it just dawned on me that I've never heard of it being used for goats. Anyone know if it's safe?

Have you given her BoSe yet? You may be able to find an oral paste of Vitamin E and Selenium if you have trouble sourcing it and need the selenium.

Tuma likes this.
  12. Tuma

Tuma New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Africa
    I’ll try the shots, no she’s never had BoSe, I’ll have to track that down too. Thanks to both of you.