baby goat ????'s

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by journeysgirl, Apr 6, 2010.

1. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hey all, I'm new here and have some questions.

First off, I"ve had goats before but never from babies. So, my question is, we have a 3 week old baby, LaMancha/Saneen (sp) cross. When we got him old farmer that was selling said to bottle feed for a few weeks. Start him on grain in a week and give him hay. He said sweet feed was fine and "just what ever" hay. Well we've been bottle feeding him "Kid Replacer" and until today he was drinking 16 oz twice a day with an 8oz snack mid day. Farmer dude says 16 oz twice a day was all that was needed. Last couple days he's had loose stool. Not berries and not totally liquid. This morning he would not eat, finally a few hours after trying the first couple times he drank about 6 oz. But then refused the bottle. So before I go panicing and call the vet. Any advise for a newbie baby goat owner.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    cut back the amount per feeding - 16 oz is to much at once. Give him more like 7-8oz per feeding and feed 4-5 times a day.

Sounds like he might have coccidia as well. I would get a stool sample to a vet. The vet should sell you some Albon. That or you can go to your feed store and see if they have any Sulmet. If so give him 1 cc per 5lbs today and then 1cc per 10lbs for the next 4 days. (for a total of 5 days of treatment). Other options for cocci treatment are corid and DiMethox.

3. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Ok I just edited my OP to say NOT totally liquid poo either.

I just did some googline on coccidia and the loose stool seems to be the only symptom he has now. Thank you for your input.

I was wondering also, the kids (human variety) have him out in the back yard playing and he does eat grass. From what I was reading on the coccidia, it says they would have bloody stool which he doesn't have. Just more of a loose stool. Kinda of like to much fresh green grass in horses. Which we also have.

Another question, We only got one and he seems to be lonely unless we are out there with him ALL the time. I've told the DH that we should have gotten two. We've had one goat before at a time and he was very herd bound with our horses. What are everyone's thoughts on getting another one so they have each other. Once of course we get a handle on what's wrong with this one.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not all coccidia stools are bloody - remember bloody stools will be darker in color but by that point that means there is damage that is going to be MUCH harder to repair.

Best to nip it in the bud if it is coccidia. I have had coccidia stools be yellow, green, black and brown. THere is no set way that coccida presents itself. But one this is distinct it has a very distinct odor. I dont have to do fecals I just smell it and know. But that comes withyears of experience.

You said he doesnt want to eat -- thats also a sign of coccidia.

What is his temp? normal temp is 101-103

Yes he needs a buddy -- some goats will be ok by themselves but this is more rare then normal.

5. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    I don't know about temp and since I"m at work it'll have to wait till I get home. You're right, I missed the not eating thing being a symptom. *duh* I've been reading some of the other threads here on the "special care" board and think that our previous goats lived inspite of us. Kinda like being new to horses, you don't know how much you don't know, till you start learning.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so true ;)

but I am not saying that he does have coccidia. Just saying not to count it out because the internet says coccida should express X symptoms. Goats LOVE to prove the experts wrong. And me on occasion too :roll:

7. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    rofl, I totally understand that. I've had horses for years and it's amazing what you learn. We moved and had to get rid of the goats we had and now are where we can have them again. So we thought it would be a great idea to get a youngster. Holy cow that wasn't one of our brightest ideas. lol.

Thanks for all your help and I"m sure this site is going to be a wealth of knowledge for us.

8. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    OK, temp is 105.5. I gave him 1cc of Pen. (talked to a local goat breeder friend and that's what he said to use for now). He's not interested in drinking anything tonight. How do you force feed a goat? Will get the stool sample to the vet in the morning. Any other words of advise?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldtn force feed him any milk but syringe feed him some electrolytes. This will keep him going and hydrated till he feels better

be sure to give the penicillin for 5 days

10. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    I was reading in another post about giving them aspirin for the fever. Do you think that'd be a good idea too?

Thank you for all your help. Oh another ?? do I need to deworm him after he gets over this to get rid of the parasites? and... we want to get another one, should we deworm them right away. I didn't know youngsters would have parasites all ready.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well worming wont take care of any coccidia but it will take care of worms.

yup they can get parasites easily if the herd they were in was infested with them.

Aspirin wouldnt hurt him -- you can give him 1 - crush it up and add some water to make it easier to drench it

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would be treating him for coccidia NOW... along with the antibiotics. Get some Goat nutri drench as well... it will help him get some energy while he is down. Aspirin is good for the fever.

13. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, 105.5F is a pretty high fever for a baby. Like Stacey said, 1 aspirin ground up and you could actually put it in a syringe full of electrolytes. Drench the baby with electrolytes every 4 hours around the clock until he starts eating on his own again. If his fever does not go down you should probably take him to the vet to get him some fluids. He will dehydrate quickly with a temperature like that and with diarrhea.

Make sure that the baby gets cooled off too. With a temperature that high and going up there's a possibility that his brain can get too hot. Hold some cool cloths or an ice-pack around her head, but make sure that he does not get too cold (temperatures below 100F can kill just as easily as temps that are too high).

14. journeysgirl

journeysgirl New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    He's doing better this morning. Fever was down. We fed him every two hours through the night. Both milk and pedilite. I ended up over sleeping and not getting a stool sample to the vet this morning but will monitor him tonight and go from there.

Thank you all for you input.

15. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Awesome! The fecal is important though because penicillin will not kill all the coccidia, but it will help his body fight any subsequent infection. Coccidia causes the cells of the intestine to pop . . . hence opening it to infection. The penicillin will help treat the infection but not the cause of the infection (if it's caused by coccidia).

You did perfect keeping up the feeding through the night and you deserve a good rest! Try to get that fecal in tomorrow though. ;) Keep us updated! :D