Baby goat shoke to death

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CarolinaFranco, Feb 22, 2018.

1. CarolinaFranco

CarolinaFranco New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Hi, i had a 7 week baby pigmy goat that i was bootle feeding twice a day. She had plenty of grass, hay, misture of grains/ dry food, everything properly. In the mornig She was fine jumping around good feces, drinking and eating well, at night i found her death. I think She shoke to death. I have Been thinking what i have done wrong. Maybe She doesnt have devolopment they swallo skills? Please help me clarifying. Sory my English im portuguese

2. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    It's possible that's what it was. Sorry you lost her! Were there any other goats in the pen with her?

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Hello Carolina. Your English is so much better than my Portuguese. So we'll try hard to understand each other, yes?

I do not think that your goat baby could have lived so long if she could not swallow properly. I think it must be something else.

Can you remember anything that is different for her that day?

Did she wear a collar around her neck that could catch and choke her? Could her lungs have filled with milk from the bottle?

Goat_Scout likes this.
  4. CarolinaFranco

Feb 22, 2018
    No she was the only One for now. Justiça arrive sunday to our home... Thanks

5. mariarose

Was her stomach very swollen when you found her?

swollen, swelled, large balloon

6. CarolinaFranco

Feb 22, 2018
    She was just fine, im i veterinary nurse i dont notice any alteration. No loudy respiration or taquipneia, clean eyes and nose, no diarrea. She was jumping around me in morning. I cant post the photo post mortem that She was the mouth fu

7. CarolinaFranco

Feb 22, 2018
    No big belly, clean ânus.. i really dont understand.

Attached Files:

mariarose likes this.
  8. CarolinaFranco

Feb 22, 2018
    She wasnt with clothes, just for the night. First photo yestrday dinner. Second One today morning i pulled up her clothes before i leave her for work.

Attached Files:

9. mariarose

I really don't understand either what happened to your little girl. I am so very sorry. She was so pretty. Maybe an insect bit her that she was very allergic to? Maybe a plant in her pen was poison? I do not know. I am so sorry. She was a sweet good girl.

I do not like how the dog is looking at her so attentively. So focused on her. I know this did not kill her, but in the future, do not allow your dog to be so focused on small goats. But I know this is not the problem this time.

I am very sorry for your loss.

10. Redbarngoatfarm

Redbarngoatfarm Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Southern Ontario
    I am so sorry you lost her! It looks like you were really taking good care of her. I have never seen anything like that, but it does look like she choked or gagged on her food from the picture. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Sending hugs!

toth boer goats and mariarose like this.
  11. slackwater

slackwater Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Sometimes animals vomit when they are dying, so I wouldn't necessarily say she choked. Possible she ate something toxic/poisonous, or some other cause of sudden death (enterotoxemia?). Could she have bern overwhelmed by parasites? So sorry for your loss.

mariarose likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California