Baby goat sick (she is gone)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by trob1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ok Star kidded 3 days ago with triplets and the last born and the runt is sick. I have noticed that she always sucks and cries at the same time and today I noticed she slept all day so tonight at feeding time I picked her up and she was very limp and weak. I gave her an enema and she pooped yellow poop. Checked her temp and it was 98 so I panicked. I have her in the house of course and have given her a biomycin shot, have her in a heated blanket (temp 101 now) I have tubed her 1/2 oz of goat milk. Her breathing is labored but sounds clear with stethescope. Her pulse is very fast. Her eye membranes are pale and so is the inside of her mouth. What am I missing help.

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Re: Baby goat sick help

Oh, I'm sorry. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe some Nutri-Drench??

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Nutri Drench! Works wonders.

Could she use some selenium?

Kitten use to cry out as she nursed but the more we let her nurse the more she got the hange of it - it was because there wasnt enough milk in the teat for her to nurse (we got around that by letting her nurse off different does).

4. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Southern Middle TN

Hey Teresa....it's terrible when they are so little and seem so helpless!

If you have some B12 give her some. Wouldn't hurt to add a tad of Fort. B Complex too if you have any. I do it in the same syringe. I recommend the Nutridench too if you have some...get that ADE fast into her. These should help with the pale coloration.

Keep watching her temp and don't let her get too hot now that her temp is up. It seems like they can go so fast the other way if their temp is low and then starts coming up again....hard to get it to hold steady sometimes.

I doubt if it is anything she would need more antibiotics for...if it was infection of some sort temp would have been high to begin with. Maybe she just got too chilled and the warming will help get her going again. You'll definately have to bottle feed her right now. I wouldn't trust her to get anything with the other 2 there.
    Good luck!!! :hug:

I have a new cell phone number if you need anything. It's on my petsitting pages.

Susan

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

How's her mouth? Any sores in it that might make it hurt when she eats? Cleft pallet(sp)?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

is she suckling at all wanting to eat? If not, you can try some Vit B also to stimulate the appetite. Defiantely some BoSe also.

I am so sorry - :hug:

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN

She is gone :tears: I just hate it, this is the first to die in 5 years. I do think something just wasnt right from the get go. She just wasnt as strong as the other two and she cried alot. The other two thankfully are very active and bright eyed. Thanks for all the advise

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am sorry you lost her. :tears: :hug: :hug:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH Teresa I am so sorry you lost her :( :tears: :hug:

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh, i'm so sorry for your loss. You did all you could. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be. :hug:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss... :( :hug:

12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I'm sorry you lost her. :hug: :(

13. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm really sorry Teresa, it's tough to lose those little ones. :(

14. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I'm sorry Teresa....I know how much you loved her and so does she.....it's so frustrating sometimes, the not knowing and the why...believe me, I went through my share of it last year with Sky (ruptured uterus after quads) and Zorro (my foundation herdsire) especially. I'm hoping this year will be SO much better....

Once again I'm so sorry... :grouphug:

Susan

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you lost her. :hug:

16. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am very very sorry Teresa :hug: :(