The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 3-4 week old Nubian, and last night I noticed a ping pong sized abscess on her side, between her thigh and stomach, about the same as the CL abscess location. Is it possible for her to have CL? I've read that it doesn't normally show up until after 2 months.
Other possibly important information: None of our other goat's have shown signs of CL. We recently bought 3 make sheep, 4 months old, that were not tested for CL. She had a shot about 3 weeks ago, but it was given in her shoulder. Also, I would really prefer to take her to the vet, I can't afford it right now. Any suggestions on what the abscess is and what to Do?
-I'll post a picture in a second-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not letting me post photos or anything, but if you go to my albums, I created a public one that has the pictures in it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:cowboy:
Do you have a friend with goats or the breeder close by? Possibly they could look at your goat and tell you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum!:cowboy:
Do you have a friend with goats or the breeder close by? Possibly they could look at your goat and tell you.
No, the other goat person just moved away, and there aren't any others close by.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
No, the other goat person just moved away, and there aren't any others close by.
You should have enough posts to be able to upload pictures to this thread, now.

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
I doubt it is CL. Baby is way too young imo. Most likely a sticker or thorn.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I saw your photos and you're correct, it is a possible CL location. I'm honestly not sure how young CL can develop. In my experience and reading, usually not until later. But it's best to assume it is CL until proven otherwise.

I recommend you observe the abcess closely twice a day and when the hair begins to fall off and it is getting ready to burst, separate her from your other goats and sheep and out of the typical barn & land where they graze. You can lance the abcess and collect a pus sample to send to a laboratory yourself without a veterinarian, then flush and clean the cavity very very very well. You'll have to wait for it to heal over before returning her to the herd. Everything that touches that pus must be disposed of. Wear plastic bags over your shoes when you do it and make sure that you don't spread any of that pus near your animals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts