The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Nigerian dwarf doeling, she is only a week old today.Yesterday she started shivering and acting cold and lethargic until I put her under a heat lamp. Her temp was 101.7 so I gave her some probiotics and some Vitamin B and she started to look better. Today I gave her an enema, her poop came out all green with a orange tinge. She is less lethargic but she still shivers when the heat lamp is off.

Is it Coccidia? I’ve been reading around and I think she is too young to have that yet. Is there anything I’m missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Is she dam raised? Any siblings?

I would get Scourcheck or ScourHalt which is a red liquid labeled for piglets at the feed store. It addresses several bacterial causes of scours. You are right, coccidia is unlikely.

At one week old her poop she really still be yellow/orange. Are you sure the dam is producing enough milk? The kid may be starving and eating stuff she shouldn't.

·
Fair-Haven
4,612 Posts
Agree with Salty - I would start her on scourcheck. 2x pig dose twice a day for 3 days. Make sure her temp stays up, heating her core (belly) helps more. If you are bottle feeding, what are you feeding, how much, how often,and how much does she weigh? Do not let her eat until her temp is at least 101. she will be unable to digest the milk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am bottle feeding her because her dam rejected her. She weights a little less than a pound and she is eating about 1.5 oz of replacer every 2 or 3 hours.
She isn’t always that hungry though. When her belly starts to feel soft, I give her extra. I’ll get the ScourCheck stuff and see what happens. Thank you!

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
I would stop replacer asap..give her tummy a rest..feeding electrolytes in place of milk.for at least 2 bottles. Then switch to cows milk.
I would wait on scour halt to see if resting from milk helps.
Did you get her weight or guestamate? At one pound she is being over fed and maybe her issue

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I have a little bit of her dams milk that I could switch her over to. It’s probably a lot better. Should I switch her over slowly or a little faster? Should I supplement Gatorade to keep her hydrated?
Her temp is now 102 degrees. I checked her brother for comparison and he is 100.6 but he is acting/pooping/eating just fine.

I heard Apple Cider Vinegar could work? Our nearby Tractor Supply doesn’t have the ScourChek stocked at the moment but I could hop around the local feed stores once they open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She just pooped, it is bright green now as opposed to the dark green before. I'm slowing down on the enemas and now she is pooping by herself.
1AA4F599-8C40-4A26-AFAB-7132F8DA3C7E.jpeg

·
Fair-Haven
4,612 Posts
Do not mix electrolytes and milk. Do electrolytes only for at least 12 hours. Then dams milk - milk her out and feed back to the kid. If this is not possible long term then whole cows milk (red top) from the grocery is better. Be careful not to overfeed her . At her weight she should get about 5-6 ounces total per day to begin with. ACV won't do anything for scours. Probiotics would be helpful for her.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
I would just stop milk for at least two feedins..let her tummy settle. Pedialyte is good to use in place of milk. After 2 skipped meals..then try moms milk.

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
if poop turns watery and bright yellow..then we indeed need scour hault to treat e coli and the poops. So have on hand.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to some of the feed stores and none of them have the ScourChek. I ordered some through Amazon so it should be coming tomorrow.
Until then, I found some electrolytes specifically for goats that I’ve been giving to her straight-up. Should I mix the probiotics (Probios powder) with the electrolytes?

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
Probiotics once a day is ok.

Reactions: Nash12

·
Registered
29,942 Posts
awe..such a pretty little one!! Play and sunshine does wonders!!

Reactions: Nash12

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How is baby girl today?
She's doing fine! She is pooping normally now ( light orange) and is bouncing around. I weighed her today and she is actually 2 pounds, not less than one, oops. :p Thanks for all the help! Should I still give her the ScourCheck? (it hasn't come in the mail yet)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts