Baby Goat with no appetite!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tasnigoat2, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    We have a baby goat that was born on Saturday. His mother was pushing for the last few days after his birth and unfortunately passed yesterday. We are not sure why, but suspect a retained placenta since she was pushing? Afterwards, we took her baby in and started bottle feeding 4 oz every 2-4 hours, which today turned into 4.5 oz every 4 hours. I fed him around 5 times yesterday and he was always hungry, crying for more and suckling on our hands or searching for more milk. Today, I fed him at 6am and 10am, and then attempted to feed him around 2 but he didn’t want it. I waited for an hour and tried again but no luck. His feces have changed from orange to dark brown, which are longer clumped pellets. I gave him an enema with mineral oil and warm water in case he is constipated, and he passed a bit of stool after. Then I gave him an ounce of milk at 5:00pm. Should I continue the enemas? Urine output is constant but stool seems hard.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry you lost mom. She may have had a retained dead kid.

What does the little guy weigh? What are you feeding him?

happybleats and Tasnigoat2 like this.

3. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Thank you, she was a beautiful mixed alpine goat. She was also very big so it may have been a retained kid. I’m not sure his weight but I’ll check right now. We have an alpine that we milk, and that’s the milk I’ve been feeding him.

4. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    He is six pounds.

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You may have been overfeeding a little bit yesterday but it's tough to say. After a bottle, his stomach sides should be flush to his back legs or just slightly rounded, but you don't want him to have a big round ball shaped stomach after a bottle. Some folks follow volume rules for bottle feeds, various recommendations between 10-20% of body weight in ounces as goat kids really can be prone to overeating and will act hungry! At 6lbs, that would be 10-20 ounces of milks per day, broke into feedings as you had. Other folks like to let them finish when they want, within reason, and use stomach shape to judge.

Be sure to heat it up to 100*F to aid digestion and encourage him. That's hotter than a human baby bottle.

I would perform another very warm enema to see if he passes more.

Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  6. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Ok, thank you for the reply! I made sure it was 100 F with a thermometer each time, and his stomach wasn’t rounded whatsoever yesterday, which was weird to me. Should I try to feed again?

7. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I would offer another bottle of 2-4 ounces and if he refused, try the enema again. Unless he has pooped more since the last enema?

Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  8. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    He took 3 oz and is now sleeping. I did not have to force it down, he willingly took it and willingly stopped as well. He pooped a tad after but not anything substantial. I’m going to keep checking on him for more.

SalteyLove likes this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Some babies can eat more while others can't digest it fast enough. At 6 pounds I would srart him at 2.5 oz 4 times a day. After each bottle stand him up and see how his tummy looks and feels. As Salty said..flat but firm is the goal. Not too poochy and never sunken in. If he needs a little more then go to 3 oz fours times a day. Babies will guilt you into giving more..so be strong. Re weigh every 3-4 days and adjust milk as needed.
    If he doesn't have a good poop,, Give another enema will help clean him out and he will be ready to eat.
    I'm very sorry about his mama passing.

SalteyLove and Tasnigoat2 like this.
  10. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Ok, I’ll start that routine tomorrow. I never reheat more milk, but he is smaller so it makes more sense to give less. He does not have scouts so I’m happy about that.

11. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    He went all night without milk and I just tried feeding him, but spotted no poops! He didn’t take the milk but sat back down and started crying. I gave him 5ccs mineral oil and water as an enema at 6:40, but nothing has passed. Not even water or oil. Should I do another 5ccs? He wanted to drink right after I gave the enema but I think it’s wise to not give him any more milk. His tummy still seems like I just fed him...

12. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    And should I give him some milk if magnesia?
    he stands up and pushes, I can tell because he’s just so still but his belly is contracting. However, nothing comes out

13. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    I feel a hard ball where I’m pressing, but I’m not sure what that is. And this is his stance

Attached Files:

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When I do an enema. I use oil and warm water..i gently fill baby up until a little enema squirts back out. Massage tummy and let baby walk around. If he pushes enema out with no poop..i put more enema fluid in. Usually produces a good amount of poop with minutes but can take 30-40 minutes when really plugged up. Keep trying..he needs that poop out.
    MoM is 1/4cc per pound..wont hurt to give

15. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    I gave him his second enema and a good bit squirted out after. Can no longer feel that hardened ball, and I think the first enema softened it considerably over the last hour.
    Just fed him 2.5 oz. He’s content now, no longer crying or straining. Will keep checking, I think he’ll be ok but it’s hard to tell!

happybleats likes this.
  16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh good!! He may need enemas for a few days until he poops well on his own. Be sure to put a pinch of baking soda in his first bottle of the day.

Best wishes

Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  17. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yep definitely don't be afraid to use more than 5cc of liquid during the enema. When I've had to do them for a bottle baby, I would put in 5-10 cc, then make them walk around for a few minutes, if no action, put another 5-10cc, and repeat several times. I use very very warm water with canola oil.

goatblessings and happybleats like this.
  18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All great advice given.

Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  19. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Over the last two days, he’s extremely hungry so I’ve been feeding him 2.5-3oz every 4 hours, checking his tummy. Overnight, he’s in a bin so I can tell where his poop goes...but it hasn’t gone? I can’t see any stool at all and it’s been 24 hours since the last enema. He is not pacing anymore. I think I’m going to do more enemas just in case.

happybleats likes this.
  20. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I also massage the rumen - left side to try to get things moving. Walk him as much as you can. keep an eye on his temp to make sure his rumen is not shutting down. You want at least 101 before feeding.

Tasnigoat2 likes this.