The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Over the last two days, he's extremely hungry so I've been feeding him 2.5-3oz every 4 hours, checking his tummy. Overnight, he's in a bin so I can tell where his poop goes...but it hasn't gone? I can't see any stool at all and it's been 24 hours since the last enema. He is not pacing anymore. I think I'm going to do more enemas just in case.
It sounds to me like he's not getting enough to eat. He won't poop if he's undernourished. 3 oz. every 4 hours is only 18 oz. in 24 hours. A 6 lb. kid usually eats a lot more than that, especially now that he's almost a week old. I don't raise bottle babies, but from what I remember of the few I've had, kids that age are usually finishing a 16 oz. bottle at each meal, and I feed them 3 meals/day. Healthy growing babies drink a LOT of milk so I really think the lack of poop that started as constipation may now be due to not enough milk. Too little milk can also cause dehydration which in turn causes constipation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It sounds to me like he's not getting enough to eat. He won't poop if he's undernourished. 3 oz. every 4 hours is only 18 oz. in 24 hours. A 6 lb. kid usually eats a lot more than that, especially now that he's almost a week old. I don't raise bottle babies, but from what I remember of the few I've had, kids that age are usually finishing a 16 oz. bottle at each meal, and I feed them 3 meals/day. Healthy growing babies drink a LOT of milk so I really think the lack of poop that started as constipation may now be due to not enough milk. Too little milk can also cause dehydration which in turn causes constipation.
Oh wow...I did 4 oz before and continued this because there were no scours. Someone kindly advised me to lower that amount to 2.5 oz so I've been doing about 3 oz now. You may be right, but I'm a bit confused as to what to do. I'm going to start these enemas because he is digesting the milk, but it's all stuck

·
Registered
30,546 Posts
How does his tummy feel after his bottle? 16 oz at this age and weight..i don't agree at all. He was constipated most likely due to over feeding to begin with. I wouldnt begin to up his milk too much just yet. Keep with the enemas until he's pooping well by himself. Sometimes they get really backed up and need time. Always feel his tummy after a bottle..flat but firm..not too poochy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How does his tummy feel after his bottle? 16 oz at this age and weight..i don't agree at all. He was constipated most likely due to over feeding to begin with. I wouldnt begin to up his kilk too much just yet. Keep with the enemas until he's pooping well by himself. Sometimes they get really backed up and need time. Always feel his tummy after a bottle..flat but firm..not too poochy.
I'm been following the flat with firm method. 2.5-3 oz seems perfect. He did have to switch abruptly between his mother's milk and another goat's milk, which may have contributed. I have bottle fed two other goats before (one was rejected and the other was given to us with scours), who are both one year and a few months now. I started both off with 4 oz but I'm not sure how much they weighed. I really hope this boy survives.

·
Registered
30,546 Posts
I would trust your gut..you are with him..see him..touch him, so trust that. Hes had a tough start with mama dieing. Stress can do alot to those tiny tots.

Reactions: Tasnigoat2

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
How does his tummy feel after his bottle? 16 oz at this age and weight..i don't agree at all. He was constipated most likely due to over feeding to begin with. I wouldnt begin to up his milk too much just yet. Keep with the enemas until he's pooping well by himself. Sometimes they get really backed up and need time. Always feel his tummy after a bottle..flat but firm..not too poochy.
Yeah, I'm definitely NOT the bottle baby expert. I've only had a few bottle kids and the youngest were a week old when I got them and over 10 lbs. each. Those little monsters were drinking almost 20 oz. per feeding when I got them. Still, 3 oz. sounds like way too little per feeding for a 6 lb. goat, and I do know that constipation and/or no poop is more often a sign of too little milk than too much. Acting constantly hungry is both good and bad. It's good that he has a healthy appetite, but it's bad if he's hungry all the time. To me that screams, "Feed me more, mom!"

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am on the same page as SalteyLove. Did you give it colostrum in the early stage of its life. Is the kid's mother CDT, CL and CAE free. A necropsy could shine more light in the case of any hidden diseases in the doe. Also have you contacted your vet he could be a HUGE blessing in this case.

Hope this helps and the kid feels better soon

·
Registered
30,546 Posts
Acting constantly hungry is both good and bad. It's good that he has a healthy appetite, but it's bad if he's hungry all the time. To me that screams, "Feed me more, mom!"
From my experience That little tummy tells the story along with pooping and activity. She started with 4 oz 4 times a day and baby got constipated so that tells me he can not digest that much milk yet. So we decrease to 10% until he is pooping well. Once pooping on his own..milk should be increased alittle at a time as he can handle it and as he gains weight. Overfeeding kills more kids than underfeeding. While 10 % sounds lean and is the least baby should be fed, its better on his system until he can poop.
I do understand what you are saying..babieas scream hunger even when stuffed. But most will go on their happy way to play once they realize there is no more to have lol. Those who don't does need to be looked at different to see why. Are they still hungry or does his tummy hurt cause he can't poop. Its a judgment call. Per kid. But either way should be addressed carefully.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I would trust your gut..you are with him..see him..touch him, so trust that. Hes had a tough start with mama dieing. Stress can do alot to those tiny tots.
Thank you. He doesn't have any of the symptoms from a few days ago. We're going to take him to the vet in case it's something else.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Do you think he was feeding and pooping normally and got plenty of colostrum before his dam died?
Yes, I really think he did. I was not there when the mom died, but my parents tell me that he was drinking right before, while she was laying down. The moms milk had also thinned out slightly from that initial thick colostrum. However, I'm not sure about the pooping. He pooped nice, soft and orange the first day. But those turned into hard cracked brown soon aftef

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Same with SalteyLove hope you fed it colostrum it is very very important. You should consult your vet he might be able to shed some more light on the situation. Was his mom CL, CAE and CDT free.
Yes, we are going to schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Two enemas, no poop but a small dribble of brown. Have been massaging his left side and he has been running and exploring. Now I’m questioning if he has scours the same color as the hay? Surely I’d be able to see it
Weight is 5.75- 6lb now:(
Making the appointment now for tomorrow, since it is closed now

·
Registered
30,546 Posts
I think a vet visit is a good idea, hands on to give a good check up. The brown dribble you see maybe wash off from poop inside? Be sure to fill him up until a little enema squirts back out..always warm and always gentle. One time I had a baby so backed up I used a save a baby tubing kit, like picture posted, to insert in babies bum and slowly pushes enema fluid through that..did not distress baby at all and really helped get poop out. The vet should be able to tell you if he is impacted or not. Please keep us posted.

31-g4dYJpIL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Reactions: Tasnigoat2
21 - 40 of 112 Posts