The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I think a vet visit is a good idea, hands on to give a good check up. The brown dribble you see maybe wash off from poop inside? Be sure to fill him up until a little enema squirts back out..always warm and always gentle. One time I had a baby so backed up I used a save a baby tubing kit, like picture posted, to insert in babies bum and slowly pushes enema fluid through that..did not distress baby at all and really helped get poop out. The vet should be able to tell you if he is impacted or not. Please keep us posted.

View attachment 184257
Should I wait until the vet or keep giving him enemas. He screams bloody murder sometimes.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I would keep trying the enemas until vet visit. Babies do not like it but it does not hurt them. They scream more about being restrained. Make sure enema is nice and warm helps..not cold or too hot.

Reactions: Tasnigoat2

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
From my experience That little tummy tells the story along with pooping and activity. She started with 4 oz 4 times a day and baby got constipated so that tells me he can not digest that much milk yet. So we decrease to 10% until he is pooping well. Once pooping on his own..milk should be increased a little at a time as he can handle it and as he gains weight. Overfeeding kills more kids than underfeeding. While 10 % sounds lean and is the least baby should be fed, its better on his system until he can poop.
I do understand what you are saying..babies scream hunger even when stuffed. But most will go on their happy way to play once they realize there is no more to have lol. Those who don't does need to be looked at different to see why. Are they still hungry or does his tummy hurt cause he can't poop. Its a judgment call. Per kid. But either way should be addressed carefully.
Huh... interesting. It would never occur to me that eating only 16 oz./day could be too much for a 6 lb. kid. I mean, that's only one pint of milk in 24 hours for a five-day-old and at that rate he may never start pooping because he's not getting enough to work with. My thought is that baby got constipated because he wasn't getting enough fluid through his system. Once again, my kids are dam-raised so I don't measure out their milk intake, but I know even the tiny brand new ones drink more than 1 pint/day. A few of my heavier producers overfeed during the first few days and the kids get scours, not constipation. It seems like it would take a lot more than 4 oz. to stop this little guy's digestion unless there is something else going wrong. I'm not meaning to be argumentative here, but the fact that he's now losing weight and is consuming less than half what a goat his age should normally eat concerns me. I'm glad he's seeing a vet in the morning.

Just thinking this through... if he did get constipation from being dehydrated, the problem now is that the new milk going in may not be able to get past the obstruction. In that case, yes, increasing his milk intake could very well be deadly since the milk would end up sitting in the belly and turning sour.

On the other hand, is there a reason to think he's still constipated? A baby goat that isn't getting enough milk isn't going to make much or any poop. I noticed a lack of poop with my kid that broke her pelvis last month. She didn't poop for about 48 hours after the accident because her appetite went down and she wasn't mobil. Once she did poop, it was hardly anything. It took a few days for her digestion to really kick back into gear, but she never got constipated. Not enough food + not enough activity = little or no poop.

Once again, I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative. I've never had a kid get blocked or require an enema so I may be completely out of my depth here. It just *sounds* to me like this kid is undernourished rather than overnourished and he needs more fluid going in the front end, not the back. He looks sunken in in the photos and if he's actively looking for more food, I'd be inclined to give it to him (within reason of course). I'm really glad a vet is going to see him tomorrow. It's so hard to diagnose and treat things over the internet! Hopefully he hasn't got an obstruction and his milk can be increased without worry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I would keep trying the enemas until vet visit. Babies do not like it but it does not hurt them. They scream more about being restrained. Make sure enema is nice and warm helps..not cold or too hot.
I wasn't able to do any more enemas, and I'm really hoping he just makes it through the night. He seems and screams perfectly healthy, it's just that goats can drop very quickly in my opinion. I'm a bit scared, but at least the vet appointment is early.
The last times I did enemas, I pushed in until a bit came out and waited. Helped him run around and massaged the area as well...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Huh... interesting. It would never occur to me that eating only 16 oz./day could be too much for a 6 lb. kid. I mean, that's only one pint of milk in 24 hours for a five-day-old and at that rate he may never start pooping because he's not getting enough to work with. My thought is that baby got constipated because he wasn't getting enough fluid through his system. Once again, my kids are dam-raised so I don't measure out their milk intake, but I know even the tiny brand new ones drink more than 1 pint/day. A few of my heavier producers overfeed during the first few days and the kids get scours, not constipation. It seems like it would take a lot more than 4 oz. to stop this little guy's digestion unless there is something else going wrong. I'm not meaning to be argumentative here, but the fact that he's now losing weight and is consuming less than half what a goat his age should normally eat concerns me. I'm glad he's seeing a vet in the morning.

Just thinking this through... if he did get constipation from being dehydrated, the problem now is that the new milk going in may not be able to get past the obstruction. In that case, yes, increasing his milk intake could very well be deadly since the milk would end up sitting in the belly and turning sour.

On the other hand, is there a reason to think he's still constipated? A baby goat that isn't getting enough milk isn't going to make much or any poop. I noticed a lack of poop with my kid that broke her pelvis last month. She didn't poop for about 48 hours after the accident because her appetite went down and she wasn't mobil. Once she did poop, it was hardly anything. It took a few days for her digestion to really kick back into gear, but she never got constipated. Not enough food + not enough activity = little or no poop.

Once again, I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative. I've never had a kid get blocked or require an enema so I may be completely out of my depth here. It just *sounds* to me like this kid is undernourished rather than overnourished and he needs more fluid going in the front end, not the back. He looks sunken in in the photos and if he's actively looking for more food, I'd be inclined to give it to him (within reason of course). I'm really glad a vet is going to see him tomorrow. It's so hard to diagnose and treat things over the internet! Hopefully he hasn't got an obstruction and his milk can be increased without worry.
Honestly the biggest reason I think he's constipated is because I haven't seen a poop since the first enema, and I have been watching him like a hawk. I can no longer feel anything hard in the area close to his intestines, and I believe he is digesting milk because he's so ravenous. He wasn't taking the bottle before the first enema, but he's more than willing now. I'm confused as to what is happening: Despite this, I know a few days worth of not pooping and drinking could be deadly as you said. Hoping he makes it though the night
And I agree. It seems like goats get way more milk with their mothers. I notice that our goats push away their kids from taking in too much. It seems like more frequent feedings in smaller quantities. I did not feed 16oz to my other kids until several weeks later. Personally, I don't think I've been over feeding him because there have been no scours, but this judgement may be wrong. I love the discussions happening here!

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
16 oz./day could be too much for a 6 lb. kid. I mean, that's only one pint of milk in 24 hours
I owe you an apology!! I miss read your earlier post as 16 oz a bottle!! I guess I need to slow down and read better.
I agree dehydration or not getting enough food can cause poop issues too.but she was feeding 4 oz and still no poop. Even at 15 oz a day would be 3.6 oz a bottle. The weight loss concerns me as well.. Hopefully the vet gets hands on him can get ger some answers.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I love the discussions happening here!
I do too. I appreciate being able to talk things through..bounce ideas and even if we are not on the same page, the information we all share can help come to a conclusion or at best lead us to dig deeper to help find an answer. And Damfino gave lots to consider as well.

Keep us posted as to what the vet says.

Reactions: HMNS and Tasnigoat2

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I owe you an apology!! I miss read your earlier post as 16 oz a bottle!! I guess I need to slow down and read better.
In my first post I actually did say, "kids that age are usually finishing a 16 oz. bottle at each meal, and I feed them 3 meals/day."

When I have a bottle baby (not often), I usually feed them from a 16 oz. pop bottle. At a week old, they're easily drinking 3 bottles/day. For this little guy, I'd expect him to be drinking at least two full bottles/day (spread out through several feedings of course). Doing the math here, my mama goats usually give about 1 gallon/day and they usually raise two kids on that. This means each dam-raised kid drinks about 2 qts. of milk a day on average. I raise full-sized goats and usually the kids are born 7-10 lbs. so they're bigger than this little guy, and of course they don't start out eating 2 qts/day during the first week. However, they certainly eat more than 4 oz. per feeding. I've had to start a few newborns on a bottle if mama's milk didn't come in right away. A newborn will usually suck down 4-6 oz. at the first drink, and their intake rapidly increases after the first few hours if they're healthy.

I agree dehydration or not getting enough food can cause poop issues too.but she was feeding 4 oz and still no poop. .
If she's only feeding 4 oz I would not expect any poop. There's not enough fluid going into him for anything to come out, and if anything does come down the line it's going to be too hard and dry for him to pass easily. If he's hungry and active then he's probably not plugged any more and I think it would be safe to increase his intake. If there's any concern about constipation, increasing the frequency of feedings would be better than increasing the amount per feeding.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I have raised 100s of bottle kids over the years and for the majority of them..they always pooped just fine.The thing is no two babies are the same, not even siblings. You can have twin sister both 6 pounds each and one do fantastic on 20% body weight in milk and the other get scours or constipated..sick with undigested milk.
So instead of feeding a set amount for all based on age..we feed based on weight and how the tummy feels. As well as taking cues from baby based on poop..appetite and activity. A lethargic baby with little or no poop or scours is a baby not digesting all her milk. Its not cut and dry. I have been working with new goat owners along time and one thing I won't assume is them recondizing symptoms a baby getting too much milk. So we start with 10% and feel the tummy and work up from there. We can always add a bottle of electrolytes between milk bottles if baby needs more fluid. Usually with in the first few weeks baby is doing great and on more milk, digesting just fine. Some babies just need more time to develop. This can be true with dam raised kids as well. I had twin boys I had to pull from mom and take out to monitor feeding. Mom had rich rich milk and boys drank then stayed lethargic and poopy. Within a week or so they were back with mom full time. Just needed things to slow down a bit.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
increasing the frequency of feedings would be better than increasing the amount per feeding.
Yes some times feeding smaller more frequent meals works best.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The vet wasn’t able to make room for him today. When I called yesterday it went to voicemail in the “large animals” office so our app is tomorrow at 12:15. Babe is still active, hungry, screaming, and alert. He is so gentle. I’m going to keep watching him, and go through his bedding today to actually see if there have or have not been poops. I’m really hoping it’s the former. Again, no signs that he had initially, like sitting down, getting up, feeling tired and not wanting to drink. His stomach also flattens out each time and I don’t feel anything hard...but I don’t SEE anything either. I’m going to do my best to help him make it to tomorrow. I don’t want him to crash.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
So over all he's acting like a normal healthy active baby just not seeing poop?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I think a vet visit is a good idea, hands on to give a good check up. The brown dribble you see maybe wash off from poop inside? Be sure to fill him up until a little enema squirts back out..always warm and always gentle. One time I had a baby so backed up I used a save a baby tubing kit, like picture posted, to insert in babies bum and slowly pushes enema fluid through that..did not distress baby at all and really helped get poop out. The vet should be able to tell you if he is impacted or not. Please keep us posted.

View attachment 184257
Hello! So I'm going to do more enemas. He's so stuffed up! So do I put in enough enema until more comes out? Even if it's more than 10cc/ml? And how long should I wait for poop to give more?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
So over all he's acting like a normal healthy active baby just not seeing poop?
Yes he's acting normal. Mom noticed that he wasn't taking more than 2oz in the morning. Just went to actually check up and everything. He's rounder now, which concerns me. His intestine area is more stuffed up. :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Administered first enema, poop came out!! Not enough for two days so I’m going to repeat in about 5 minutes. The color is tan brown, and a bit softened but holding shape. I have noticed that he searches for water, and drank all of the water in the pots outside. It is a hot day, but is he maybe dehydrated? He is constantly searching for milk.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Yahoo for poop..keep at it! You can give an oz or so of electrolytes 2 hours between milk to help increase fluid intake. Just don't want too much that he doesn't feel the need for milk. So maybe mid day for now.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
So do I put in enough enema until more comes out? Even if it's more than 10cc/ml? A
Yes..i fill baby up gently until a little squirts back out. It help get that Push button going.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts