Baby Goat with no appetite!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tasnigoat2, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    This is a chart from fiasco farms. The baby, which I have named “kabeel/kabilo” is an alpine/Nubian mix. He descends from some dairy line. I’m wondering if the amount of milk has to play a role? I have never heard of 6oz on the first day x 4...

Attached Files:

2. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Going to stay up tonight, as he only got 4 bottles today and I want to increase his milk to 4.5 oz. He is certainly digesting, unless I’m feeling his stomach wrong. I was going to do more enemas, but I’m honestly unsure. I still think I’m going to. I’m also going to upload some more pictures of his stance, his mineral oil soaked behind, and also his bedding. I feel like he may be trying to push out some poop, as he has moments where he just pauses, head and neck down and tail almost quivering. (another pic) Not not sure though.
    Kabilo is also always hungry. He is either eating my clothes, searching for milk on my fingers, toes, face, back, really anything. Constantly on the search for more food, which really makes me think he’s hungry. He’s never full when I finish feeding him, and he cries and cries. I’m going to check his stomach more throughly now that I know how to.
    Otherwise, he is active, alert, and curious. Perfect on the bottle too

Attached Files:

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes, he needs a larger portion based on those photos. He probably isn't getting enough to produce stool. I marked up the photo but it's hard to do on the small screen. This is the area you want filled up after a bottle. Not quite as round out as my marks portray but I think you will get the idea.

It's tough being worried about overfeeding and also bottle kids that act starving all the time but in this case, I think you need to bottle more!

Attached Files:

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes having a goat that is not well is stressful. Good news is he acting well.
    He does look a bit sinken in.
    When increasing milk...go slow. 1/2 oz at a time..baby goats always act starved so don't let him guilt you into over feeding. Re weigh him every couple of days, they grow fast.

Fiasco farms has been out of goat business for a long time. And imo her chart is wrong. You need to feed based on weight not age. Can you imagine feeding a 3 pound baby and a 6 pound baby the same amount?

Tasnigoat2 and toth boer goats like this.
  5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I know y'all are saying baby goats always act starved, but mine have never acted starved unless they were not getting enough milk. I usually feed kids until they get the glaze-eyed "food coma" look and let go of the nipple themselves. I don't recommend "feeding till full" for this particular kid because he's got some issues and his intake needs to be ramped up carefully. However, I really feel like this baby is literally starving, not just acting the part. He's crying because he's constantly hungry. He won't poop until he has enough milk coming down the line to make it happen. Right now every ounce of that milk is going straight toward keeping his system running and trying to grow. There's not enough left over to make solid waste. He needs more milk.

6. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Thank you everyone for your input! Going to slowly increase milk. Going on 4-5 oz today. I have noticed that the little guy has been coughing today, which is unusual. He also fell asleep in front of me yesterday and was still yelling. No poops yet

7. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Update! Increasing milk helped!!! I see poop!! :bighug:
    They look more like scours than anything so 4.5oz is probably too much, but still!!

8. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    There is no poop on his bedding, it is just in his butt

9. Canadian Goat Mom

Canadian Goat Mom Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Alberta, Canada
    Aspiration on bottle and pneumonia could be his issues? I recommend a vet visit.

Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    If he's super hungry he may be inhaling some milk when he drinks. Keep an eye out for snotty nose.

I don't think he's scouring from too much milk. Rather, it's quite possible he still has some cloggage going on and the only thing that can work its way past is liquid. But he really does need the liquid to help move things along. It just can't be too much at once. Frequent small feedings will be the way to go, and I'd try another enema if it seems like only liquid is coming through, especially if he seems like he's straining. Does he seem perky otherwise?

Sfgwife and Tasnigoat2 like this.
  11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yahoo for poop. Be sure to go slow with increases. Watch his tummy. Good job.

12. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Vet appointment was today! They did an enema with longer saline tubing, some soap, and water. Only a small chunk like we had seen before came out. They also found he had a slight fever but he’s overall ok, and an otherwise healthy and active goat.
    They informed us to feed him 5oz x4 or 4oz x5, and I might go with the former. Glad to know he’s ok
    The coughing has gone away completely:)

13. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    I am still searching for his friend

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.
  14. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Hey everyone! Kabilo is growing, but still no poops. We are at 5.5 oz every 4 hours. He’s still ravenous. I’m also going to weigh him and see how much that is.

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How much does he weigh?

Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  16. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    I’m going to weigh him in a bit. Just fed him for his third time today and his stomach is tight and super full. I didn’t get to feed him all of it because I was afraid he was getting too big. Might have to do some more enemas tonight...
    He also still has hard tiny poops, as he had tried this afternoon and managed to poop out a bit of stool. Better than nothing!!! But not all of it

toth boer goats likes this.
  17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would do the enema and be cautious about feeding too much. Tummy should not be too poochy.
    At this point I feel like there maybe intestinal issues. Goats poop..all the time, even on a leaner diet. My now 6 pound nigie drinks 3 oz 4 times a day. A bit more than 10%. She poops a mountain of tiny berries with ease. Your baby not pooping much is call for concern.
    How does he act? Is he active? Lethargic?

18. Tasnigoat2

Tasnigoat2 Active Member

Apr 29, 2019
    North Carolina
    Didn’t do the enema because as I suspected, it was too much milk. He started scouring so I’m starting to give him some water between feedings, and lowering the milk. The vet said that more stool would show up with more food. He is extremely energetic and active.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I wouldnt give water in bottle..this can cause red urine and can be dangerous
    Feed electrolytes in place of milk a few bottles then try milk again. Let's his tummy rest. Im glad he's still active and alert

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Tasnigoat2 likes this.
  20. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You definitely want to be tracking weight daily to make sure he is gaining. Is he looking any less boney?