The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a buck and doe who are almost two weeks old. I’ve had them for about 3 days now. Neither were bottle babies but I bought them knowing I’d be bottle feeding. The goat breeder told me to be persistent and they would eventually take the bottle. Day two the doe did great she took the bottle. The buck is stubborn and he won’t take the bottle at all. He refuses it. I’ve tried different nipples, positions, cow milk vs milk replacement. Honey on the nipple. I do see him eat hay in his pen occasionally. He’s a bit more stressed in the new environment here where as the doe has seemed to settle right in. If I can’t get him to take a bottle what should I do? I’m going to keep trying I’m just worried. New goat owner here. Both are Nigerian Dwarf goats. The buck who won’t take the bottle is the brown lil guy.
Eye Mammal Goat Plant Grass

Vertebrate Plant Mammal Grass Fawn

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Aw, they’re adorable!
You‘ve got to keep working at it. Stop the milk replacer and just use whole cows milk warmed to 101*F.
You might have to let him go hungry for 8-12 hours then get the bottle in his mouth and squeeze out some milk into his mouth. They need the milk as you know.
My nigies prefer the Evenflow medium speed nipple at this age, the regular flow is too slow. If that’s what you have, sterilize a needle to make the hole a bit bigger.
put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day, and probios in the last.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw, they’re adorable!
You‘ve got to keep working at it. Stop the milk replacer and just use whole cows milk warmed to 101*F.
You might have to let him go hungry for 8-12 hours then get the bottle in his mouth and squeeze out some milk into his mouth. They need the milk as you know.
My nigies prefer the Evenflow medium speed nipple at this age, the regular flow is too slow. If that’s what you have, sterilize a needle to make the hole a bit bigger.
put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day, and probios in the last.
Thanks I will try this and keep working at it! He’s a stubborn little one lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your milk warm enough? It should actually be a little warmer than a human baby would take it
I heated the milk more this time and he took the bottle this time! Thanks. He just turned two weeks old and he’s taking about 4 oz. Is this an ok amount? I’ve only had him for a few days so maybe he’s adjusting a bit and will drink more tomorrow.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It’s best if you feed by his weight. Here’s a chart to help you figure out what they need. Remember the amounts given are for a 24 hour period to be divided by the number of bottles you’re giving. Start at 10% go to 15% if still hungry. Make sure his sides remain flat not swollen or sunken in.
View attachment 238486
I might feed him more often right now while he is adjusting. He used to have hot milk on tap and now he has to go on your schedule

1 - 15 of 15 Posts