The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting two 5 day old goats today. I asked their owner about their feeding schedule and he said he gives them a bottle twice a day and they drink 12 oz. per feeding.
That doesn't seem like enough to me? Especially when they are too young to supplement with anything else?
I've had 2 bottle babies before and even at 8 weeks and eating hay they were getting 3 bottles a day.
Should I increase their feedings and lower the amount per feeding? They are switching over to cow's milk today too.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
I don't bottle feed but I do know that all babies flourish on small amounts frequently... especially in the first 2-3 weeks, a few ounces every 2 hours and then increased amounts with longer periods of time between.
I do raise Nigerians and have supplemented the smallest of multiple with a bottle 2-3x a day, I seriously would never expect any kid younger than 5 weeks to be able to take in that much milk at one time... here with mine, the most ever given in a bottle for a week old was 2 ounces, never went beyond 6-7 oz and that was at 6 weeks.

These are your kids now, feed them as you have others in the past.... small amounts frequently for the first 2 weeks then slowly increase amounts :)

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
No they need to be fed like 5 times a day at about 8oz a feeding. for now, maybe a little less.
I know someone that has bottle fed more then me will jump in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.