The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, we bought three baby goats. Of those three, only one is alive now. One of them, Asriel, looked like something was up with him before hand. The day before, He was a little bony on the top but I watched him eat after I felt him and he ate as much as the other goats. His bahs were normal, he played with the other buckling(Vinny) that was born at our place, and he was just his usual prancy self. The next day, it was like he was a completely new goat. He couldn’t stand up, he was significantly more skinny than the day before, and his bahs were the weakest little noises. We called a lot of people who own goats and tried everything they said. We submerged his body in warm/hot water, we spread molasses on his gums, and we made a concoction that he was supposed to drink to regain energy. Before we could do another thing someone recommended and take his Temperature, he died in my lap. I was very concerned about the two others, Lucy and Ethal, but they were showing no signs that Asriel had. Asriel had also been bullied a lot by the two older goats who seemed to target him so I thought maybe I just didn’t see how aggressive they were towards him. I also suspected worms because of the sudden weight loss but thought he was too young for that to be likely. They had a large amount of weight on them and had a warm space so I wasn’t too worried. Two days after Asriels death, I find Ethal sprawled out, eyes wide, dead on the ground of the shelter. Now, I’ve had goats die in the past and I always found them curled up with their eyes closed(as if they were sleeping but stiffer). When I looked at her, it felt as if she was killed. The only sign that showed she was sick was diarrhea, which is a symptom for many things and also went away before she passed. I am extremely concerned about Lucy and the goats showing no symptoms has me even more panicked. What if she already has it and I can’t do anything? What if it’s something that’s extremely contagious and little Vinny caught it? I’ve asked other goat owners to take Lucy in just in case it was something that I was doing but they’re worried that it’s contagious and will be spread to THEIR goats(which I completely understand). I just don’t know what to do. The temps are in the negatives but I don’t think it’s just the cold. I’m willing to bring Lucy inside the house or even take the herd into the garage with a heater. I don’t have enough money to go to a vet so please. Someone help me. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Certainly coccidia could be the problem. They are at the age when it can get bad. But where are you buying these kids from? Do you know for sure they got colostrum?
We just got medicine for coccidia. The few symptoms line up. Thank you so much for your imput(I think they're about 4 months). Hopefully Lucy holds on

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old are they? Was their feeding routine significantly changed? Have you taken the last one's temperature? In the meantime, out of precaution, I would isolate her in a warm place away from any other goats or pets until you get a definitive diagnosis.
I'm going to take her inside at night and give her medicine. We feed pretty much the same food and she's about 4 months I think. Sadly, I wasn't with Ethal when she died so I wasn't able to take her temp. Thank you for the input. I've got a plan now and I was really discombobulated this morning. I really appreciate

·
Registered
682 Posts
Good luck to you. It is hard when we loose babies like that especially when we aren't for sure what caused it. We can never be fully prepared, but the best teacher is experience, and the best preventative is education and good information (plug for thegoatspot.net)! Keep us updated and pictures too!

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
I would keep her inside and away from the other goats so you can monitor her. A few things, with stress of a move come to mind. One is coccidia and or worms, another is pneumonia - commonly called shipping fever. Do keep an eye on her temperature at least 2x per day. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Do send in a fecal, it's cheap compared to losing a baby. Best wishes for you and her in figuring out what is best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would keep her inside and away from the other goats so you can monitor her. A few things, with stress of a move come to mind. One is coccidia and or worms, another is pneumonia - commonly called shipping fever. Do keep an eye on her temperature at least 2x per day. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Do send in a fecal, it's cheap compared to losing a baby. Best wishes for you and her in figuring out what is best.
Thanks for the help! I do have a few questions. Is there any specific antibiotics I should get? How should I give it to her? Should I worry about the drastic change in temperature from her going from outside to inside? When she comes inside, how should I set up an area? I'll send in a fecal sample today and we believe she and the others caught coccidia.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It is quite possible. What should I do it that is an option?
You could create a creep feeding area, a place that's part of the other goats' pen, but fenced off in some way so that the little ones can get in and the big ones can't. Put some food in there for the babies, and maybe a little house, so they feel cozy and have somewhere to go when the big goats get mean.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Where did you purchase the three kids and what age did you get them? Were they weaned at that time? Had they been dewormed and had coccidia prevention.

Lucy will be very stressed without a herd but if the existing herd is bullying her and keeping her away from shelter and food then I supposed inside is okay. Can Vinny or another small companion be penned with her in a secure place with warm shelter adjacent to your adult goats? Or do you have other kids that were born at your house besides Vinny? (Is Vinny wethered?)

Get a weight on Lucy (hold her on your bathroom scale then subtract your weight). You need to check that she is gaining so weigh her a few times a week.

She needs good quality hay available even inside the house.

What did you get for coccidia and how much did you give her?

How are her poops?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts