The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a baby goat that's a little under three weeks old who can't move her hind legs as of this morning. My dad and I first thought it might be worms causing this because her gums are also white, but my dad was reading up on it and found a few other things that it might be so we're not sure. The only things that we can find wrong with her is the fact that her hind legs are limp and that her gums are white. She still has an appetite and is drinking water along with nursing off of her mother. All of the other kids we have are fine, it's just her having these problems. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm not expert and I hope some of the more knowledgeable folks will also give you their advice. But if it was my goat I would do the following:
Check her temperature (over 103 - I would give Penicilin / under 99 I would slowly warm her up)
Check the poop - if it's runny I would give her JumpStart or Kaopactate
I would check her eyelids and if they were pale I would give her dewormer.
For the legs, I would give her a shot of B Complex, a shot of BoSe and squirt a Vitamin E capsule in her mouth and you can also give her Karo syrup 2cc orally to help with her energy level.

I lost one of my kids last week. He had similar symptoms and the vet suspected enterotoxemia (coccidiosis) for which he prescribed Banamine and Albon in addition to all the stuff I listed above.

I pray she gets better soon and hopefully the other guys who are more experienced than me can also give you some advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your suggestions!
We took her temperature (102.3) and check her eyelids (normal color). We haven't found any poop near where she has been, and I would think that since she's lying down if she had pooped, it would have gotten on her legs but there's nothing there.

Toth- We found that article while looking up things about it, but we were worried about the dose suggestion. We have what is suggests to give, but would the dosage be the same for such a young goat?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Would a 3 week old kid be exposed to M-worm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know much about meningeal worms, but we do have a lot white tail deer in our area. I haven't seen any slugs or snails, though I haven't really looked for them.
She hasn't been disbudded, we keep the horns on all of our goats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ksalvagno - she's been getting around better now and we're going to see how she does tomorrow. If she hasn't improved we're probably going to get a vet out.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had 2 three month old little does get weak back lags. I felt their legs and discovered that they had swollen joints. Vet said Pen twice a day for five days. Banamine for pain once a day for three days. and just make sure they keep eating and drinking. I saw improvement after first shot. One of them was up and running in two days... The other is not completely better she is still limping on one rear leg and hurting.

Neither had a fever, both were/ are eating and drinking fine, no issues other than swollen joints....

Don't know if you are battling the same thing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
4theluvofgoats posted about Tetanus and disbudding. The kid I was talking about in an earlier post was disbudded 2 days before he got sick (lethargic, low temp, had a hard time getting up, didn't want the bottle or to nurse from his mom). I started BComplex, heat box, BoSe immediately and took him to the vet within a few hours. The vet seemed to think it was coccidiosis (for which we began very aggressive treatment). Still, I lost him that evening. And now I am wondering if it had to do with the disbudding although I did give him the CD/T right before disbudding so could he still have gotten Tetanus?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts