Baby goats with bad legs?! HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crazygoatlady_inthemaking, Apr 25, 2014.

1. crazygoatlady_inthemaking

crazygoatlady_inthemaking Gillian from Raese Farm

Apr 25, 2014
    Georgia
    Most of our baby goats this year were born with twisting hocks when they walk. The vet we go to said it was genetic and that they couldnt do anything for them. Some of our friends told us to feed them powder jello packets in their feed and it has helped helped some(we have to feed them that every time we feed), but if its genetics and you can somewhat tell they still twist will the judges put me in last place? We narrowed it down to being our billy goat even tho he has no signs of walking like that. We are talking about selling him but we still arnt sure because he has thrown some nice looking babies. Also, is we sell him, we only have the option of buying another billy goat with the same bloodline but from a different herd(its the quickest buy for show season next year). If the billy could have the same problem should we take the chance? :scratch::shrug:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would never buy a buck with legs that are not straight. When I judge if the animal does not have straight legs they are not in the top of the class, BUT that siad I do not judge Meat goats, so if they are terminal then I don't know why it would really matter if the rest of them is nice, if it is breeding then no way, they would not place at all.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure it isn't a selenium problem?

4. crazygoatlady_inthemaking

Apr 25, 2014
    Georgia
    Thats what our vet said and gave us shots to use but it barely did any good

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

5. crazygoatlady_inthemaking

Apr 25, 2014
    Georgia
    Also we havn't had problems with the mothers giving birth or anything just the hocks twisting

6. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The Selenium does take time to work. If that hasn't helped though try an AD&E shot. It could be rickets from vitamin deficiency.

7. crazygoatlady_inthemaking

Apr 25, 2014
    Georgia
    We were told use it once a week and then told to use jello and we use that everyday twice a day and when we started the shot we used them twice a week for a month but not much change, the jello worked best in the long run.

8. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    The shots now are like putting a band aid on a severed limb. Need to get a loose mineral mix with a good selenium level and if needed, give bo-se boosters.

9. crazygoatlady_inthemaking

Apr 25, 2014
    Georgia
    Okay thanks for the tips