The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two babies that are 9 days old. They have had diarrhea the entire time I have had them. I took a sample to the vet last week because blood was present. They are being treated for coccidia and other worms. I have been giving them goat milk replacement. I started mixing it so it would be as rich because I thought it could be. I started giving them electrolytes last night. One goat drinks twice as much as the other. Not sure what to do. I have been told to give them pepto bismol, but am afraid to do that.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Welcome to TGS.
Since you've got them on electrolytes don't go back to the milk replacer. Switch them instead to whole cows milk from the grocery store. Make sure it's heated to 100* (warmer than for human baby) and add in 1/8th a teaspoon of baking soda into the first bottle of the day.

Powdered replacements generally cause more problems in babies tummy than it's worth. A lot of folks lose babies to powdered replacers.
How much and how often are you feeding the babies?
Problems can be caused by overfeeding as well. Only feed enough till babies tummy feels full but not bulging or sucked in, no matter if they're hollering for more or not.
Again, welcome and good luck

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
It is very unlikely the kids have coccidia and worms at 9 days old. Did the fecal analysis show many eggs?

So were you mixing the replacer according to the instructions on the bag or you were mixing it more richly than the instructions? Which brand and type of replacer was it?

I would follow the advice above and in addition:

1. weigh the kids using a kitchen or fishing scale in pounds & ounces & tell us the weights
2. Go buy red piglet liquid at the feed store (ScourChek or ScourHalt depending on the brand carried, it's bright red, you can't miss it) and begin treatment for BACTERIAL scours which is way more likely at that age

Make sure to introduce hay and grain/pelleted feed right away! They need to start learning that now so you don't have issues with them eating later. You will have to pretend to show them to eat it and show a LOT of interest in it every single day

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I agree with getting rid of the replacer! You can use Whole milk from the store or find a locale dairy (Cow or goats) that sells whole milk. It's not just the fact that the replacer is bad for them but you never know what got into the machines and infected the powder. When we raised bottle calves on replacer we kept having E Coli and Salmonella run through and kill off half the herd. If there is blood in their poo ask you vet to check for E Coli!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took them to the vet because I panicked and thought one had a rattle when she breathed. They had a fever and apparently had a lot of coccidia. They upped the ml on the albon and gave them an antibiotic shot. They have to use the albon for 5 days and have two more shots of antibiotic. How much is too much milk? One will drink 8 or 9 ounces at a time and the other only 4 or 5 ounces. I have bottled raised goat before but have never had this much trouble. Also, it has been over 12 years since my last babies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts