The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my nigerian dwarf gave birth to triplets, 2 boys and 1 girl. The girl is half the size of the boys and I plan on bottle feeding her. I am supposed to worm the mom, give vitamins A and D, and bo-se right? How much of each?

Also the little girl seems to keep looking up as high as she can, is that bad? My doe last year had triplets, and the runt of that batch kept doing that same head thing and ended up passing away one morning (I honestly don't know what happened)

·
Fair-Haven
4,650 Posts
If you are going to bottle feed the doe, take her temperature before feeding. Personally , I would just bring her inside for her first couple of days to monitor her weight and progress if the temperature difference isn't too bad. You can leave her with mom, do monitor her temp, weight gain daily and make sure she is pooping and peeing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning she seemed like the odd one out in the group, so I ended up bringing her inside. Her temp was a little low, but now after most of the day inside the house is normal. She weighs 6 ounces. Has been peeing ALOT but no poop yet.

·
Fair-Haven
4,650 Posts
I'm thinking the weight is wrong for her???? Do you mean she weighs 6 pounds? I would feed her 5 x a day and only enough to make her firm, not poochy, if she isn't pooping give an enema. Keep her warm and track her weight daily.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
omg my scale was on carpet... so it wasn't accurate. She is 4 pounds. Would milk of magnesia work?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today the little doeling is still alive. Same weight, but a little lethargic and shivering. I checked her temp and she is at 100.3. Still eating well and peeing/pooping normal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is still alert and walking, just likes to lay down a lot. I'm not so concerned about the lethargy so much as I am about the shivering. It seems to gradually be getting worse

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried to call my local vet, but he is out on vacation. He is the only vet in the area that works with goats

1 - 20 of 38 Posts