baby not feeling well

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rgbdab, Feb 10, 2009.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Alvin, one of my bottle babies isn't feeling good today.

He wouldn't take his bottle this morning, which is VERY unusual. His stools are like dog poo and his tummy seems tight. I've never had or seen a goat with bloat before so I don't know if it could be that or not.

He is lying down alot and always wants to be in my lap.

I don't have any baking soda but I'll get some if you think it will help.

I do have peptobismal and I gave him 2 teaspoons of that.

His temp is 102

Denise

2. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    102 is a normal temp. so that's good.

Don't give him pepto ... that might bloat him even worse ... atleast imo.

It sounds very possible that he is dealing with bloat ... if his tummy is tight and his poops are like dog poo. Atleast he IS pooing though. That's good.

Baking Soda would help. Also, hold him on your lap and gently "bounce" him up and down. This will help releive the gas and hopefully help get things "flowing" a little better.

Gotta get the phone ... I'll post more once I'm back.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    bloat is bad, very very bad. i'd get the goat baking soda quickly. Get her walking, look into it on fias co or onion creek.

huzzah just recently dided of bloat, she fell so fast i didnt have time to save her.

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Just curious ... what are you feeding him ? Is it a milk replcement, or goat milk, or whole milk ?

5. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Do you have any cooking oil on hand ? You can give him approx 1/3 cup of cooking oil (vegetable oil, etc.) - don't use mineral oil.

6. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I am feeding him 1/2 replacer and 1/2 whole cow milk mixed together and he has been on it his whole life. He is 7 weeks old.

Yes I do have cooking oil, I have canola and olive.

I have been rubbing his tummy and he will get up to follow me around (he's like a puppy)

I gave him some probiotics.

Denise

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    you shouldnt give him veg. oil. read:

By coni Ross

Drench with Mineral oil (6-8 fl oz) for an adult, (2+ fl oz) for kids. Walk goat about, massage flanks.
    "Giving mineral oil is very effective in getting a goat that has over eaten grain to speed that grain on it's way. Vegetable oil will add to the digestive load, and can cause more harm than good. Mineral oil is not digestible, and I have used it with no problems at all. Feed that is overeaten ferments, causes gas, and acidosis to occur, which can lead to death. The object is to speed it out of there without adding to the digestive load."

8. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    He isn't having any trouble pooping, won't the oil give him diarrhea???

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I would say probably, but, if this is bloat, it is an extreme emergency, you can treat any pooh problems later.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I was going to say the same thing. I was just told by my vet NEVER use vegetable oil.

I agree with the poo thing, you have to get the bloat taken care of of that will kill this little one. Has this little one had tits CDT yet?

11. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA

I've never heard of issues with vegetable oil ... ?
    Infact - Here's an segmant of an article on Bloat on the Fias Co Farm site :
    You can find this info on the Fias Co Farm site here : http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bloat.htm

I'm just saying, this is very interesting ... I've heard of people using vegetable oil lots of times for bloats and have never heard of any issues with it.

12. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I'm not saying that I can prove anything either way. I just never heard this before (issues with vegetable oil), so now I'm confused ... lol.

And as stated above ... according to Fias Co Farm, Mineral Oil is a no no ... ?
    I'm not saying that Fias Co Farm is a genius or anything, but they are very "goat educated" ... and the owner's father was/is a chemist.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Julie, I have been told like you for years to use Vegetable oil. So when I almost lost my Monica and I had her at the vet, I asked him about using the Vegetable oil. He told me it is Vegetable oil so there for it will be utilized in the body and broken down before it ever gets to where it is needed. I explained that I was told Mineral oil is very dangerous. Well first of all he was tubing her so there was not a chance of her getting it in her lungs, but he said if you are really worried about it put a little flavor in it.
    As he explain it it totally made since. The vegetable oil will break down but the mineral oil will not.

14. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Really ? I understand what you're saying ... I was just in shock to hear it because I've always considered vegetable oil to be one of the first forms of treatment for bloat. So I just never heard before "not" to use it for bloat.

I just happened to be talking to Stacey via texting her cell during the past 10 minutes or so, and just asked her if she ever heard of it. She hasn't either. She has used vegetable oil on her goats as well, and has never heard that you shouldn't used it. I'm not trying to disagree or argue ... I'm just saying that this is new information to me, and I'm not the only one. So now I'm just kinda scratchin my head thinking ... really? wow.
    :scratch:

Interesting.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Julie. I do totally agree with what you are thinking and saying. I was also when he told me it then I really started t ask questions and the is when he really explained it to me.

I have and do real different opinions on this and I am with you 100%. It is totally confusing. I quess this is one of those you have to go with what YOU feel is right. :scratch:

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    in the case of bloat -- it could do its job of relieving the pressure and gasses in the rumen before it was digested/broken down.

For a case of constipation or something else I would see how veggie oil would break down to fast to be useful.

Just my :2cents:

17. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    good news! he is feeling better. He has pooped several times throughout the day and he finally peed just now!

He acts like he is hungry, but all I've given him is water from his bottle twice.
    Just now he was in the kitchen with me and found a piece of uncooked spagetti on the floor and was eating it, so I wonder what y'all think about offering him a bottle of milk or some pellets?

Thanks for the concern and advice, D

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give him a bottle if he hasnt had anything else today. Start off slowly and only give him a couple ounces then up it to his normal ammount as he seems able to handle it

19. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Just an update, Alvin is much better!

He took his bottle like normal this morning.

Thanks to all!!!

Denise

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what treatment did you use, just wondering.

glad to hear he's doing better