Baby not nursing???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    One of my does kidded with triplets last night, I was just out there to bottlefeed them some colostrum (just to make sure they are getting enough) and the little buckskin girl would not suck on the bottle, she also had not interest in finding a teat either. It has been 4 hours since I least fed them and I am a little worried that she won't nurse. She also isn't as lively as the other two (which suck anything they get their mouths on) Is there anything I should do??

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    get a temp on her she may be chilled and need warming up. You could drip the warm colustrum in her mouth to make sure she gets her needed amount or tube her if needed.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    some times when i have one that won't nurse the bottle i will put some milk or colostrum on my little finger & put that in there mouth & then move there little mouth up & down. also if you can place a hand over there eyes(makes it dark like when they are at the udder) that will help

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Just wondering, if you bottle feed a kid from the time they are a day old how often do they need to be fed?

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If she seems weak, give her a little Bo-Se or selenium paste if you have it. When Maggie kidded, the two kids we had to have as bottle babies would not suck on her and would not take the bottle at all, so we had to pan feed them. Just take a little colostrum and put it in a dish and put the tip of her nose in it. She should start sucking.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thanks Sarah. I'll give that a try. I did give her some selenium paste earlier today.

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    not sure about the mini breeds but with my alpines i feed them every 4 hours & they will 5take between 8 10 oz each time. i make there last bottle at 10pm & they sleep thru the night. at 1 week i do them 4 taimes a day & at 21/2 mos twice a day. i always figure a half gal per kid per day & divid that in to the right number of feedings.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Well I tube fed Malibu (my first time tube feeding) and now she is nursing!!!

9. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Yay! Go Malibu! Woohoo. That is awesome. :leap:

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    She is so playful now too! I was so scared to get it into her lungs, but it was actually really easy to do!

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Good job Chelsey, I had to tube feed a couple of times last year, and like you said it's really not that hard.