Baby not Pooping

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by boyd59, Apr 19, 2013.

1. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    My bottle baby hasn't pooped in a day or so. I've been tube feeding her regular goat milk. She is peeing about 3 times a day.
    Should I try an enema. If so can someone please walk me through it?

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    yes do an enema....I do oil and water ...I usually dont measure but do maybe 1/2 cup nice warm water and 1/8 oil...using a syringe..fill it up and gently put the tip in the rectum..slowly psuh the plunger adding about 3 cc of fliud at a time..message tummy repeat when the baby squirts some out..be patient....it cantake a while to get enough out to help get tings moving...I do this at the tub..I sit on the edge and and lay baby over my lap..bum toward the tub...

3. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    ok..also..why is she being tube fed? is she weak...?? super tiny? and how much milk is she getting ?

4. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    She was super weak that's why we started. She wouldn't attempt to suck on aNything. Now she is stronger and tries nibbling on things when she is hungry but only sucks on the bottle for a min before she quits. She doesn't get anything out. I've tried the nipples that screw onto a coke bottle and a regular baby bottle. I cut the hole in the baby bottle so it drips out slowly. Its easy to come out but doesn't drown her. She seems to like the baby bottle more but when i put it in her mouth she just sits there she won't suck. So I have been trying to work with her to take a bottle when she is hungry but haven't had any Luck so i end up tubing her.
    I have been feeding her about 2 oz 4 times a day. The vet said 1.5 oz twice a day but i feel like I'm starving her.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    try this sucking exercise...put honey on your finger...place it far back on the tongue to activate her sucking reflex...keep doing this until she goes to town on your finger..then slip the bottle in...I would use what ever she like...I prefer Pritcher since it hits that spot on the tongue better than a baby bottle...be sure to add a bit of honey on the nipple as well..
    the whole idea is to get that sucking strong..
    As for her milk..weigh her....multiply that by 16 to get her weight in OZ the multiply that by 10% to see how a day she needs....then divide that by 4 feedings...if she cant get that much down in one settling divide by 5 or 6 feedings....
    also give her some B complex..which will stimulate her hunger too : )
    once she poops she might be ready to begin the excerise

6. jchitwood

jchitwood New Member

Mar 19, 2013
    As for the inability to suck: I would give her a shot of either B-Complex or if you have some Thiamine (vet prescribed), that would help.The Vitamin Bs shouldn't hurt her as she will just pee out what she doesn't need. Also if you are in a selenium deficient area, you could give her a shot of BoSe. That should help with hind leg weakness.
    As for the constipation: I have never given a goat an enema, however I have given them mineral oil via drench which seemed to have helped.

7. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    The honey trick worked!!! She sucked down a 4oz bottle like she was starving! The screw on nipple is what I used. Thank you so much for all the input. I do believe you guys just saved my goats life!!
    I did an enema also. She pooped quite a bit. It was yellowish/brownish it was runny I guess bc it was mixed with the water and oil but it had some clumps in it. Do I need to keep doing this on a daily basis until she starts going on her own?

8. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    My little Jo Jo today. She is feeling MUCH better!

Attached Files:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    So glad to hear she is doing better. She is so adorable.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    awe she is so cute!! Glad she is doing well...no need to do enemas unless she doesnt poop but the water and oil should have coated her good and get things moving...remember to weigh her and give just what she needs...they will use those sweet eyes to talk you into more milk.but it will only cause more problems..so be strong : ) you did great...so happy she is feeling better..and sucking! yahoooo

11. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Is it normal she still isn't pooping on her own? I do an enema every night before her night feeding and she has been going. It is pretty hard and smells HORRIBLE almost like stagnated water. She doesn't go at all on her own. I've been feeding her about every 4 hours and about 3oz. That's all she will take. She always takes 3 oz and stops on her own. She is up walking on her own and she is doing really well other wise.
    I have been keeping her in our laundry room in a basket. I take her out a few times a day to get some exercise and sunshine. She always pees when I take her out. I have really fallen in love! I'm going to be so sad when I have to take her back to the barn :(

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    she should be pooping on her won by now...her bowels may be slow...give her a few oz of quality electros to add moisture to her intestines. Milk of magnesium is good for constipation...I wouldnt give much..you dont want her to have a blow out lol maybe 1 cc..
    (dose is 15cc per 60 # which is a lot IMO)
    also how much poop do you get when you do an enema?..
    Also give her probios or yogart...could be she needs more good bacteria : )

13. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Ok I'll try it! :D

She usually poops a strand a little longer than my pinky finger maybe a little more and a little smaller around. I consider my fingers pretty average lol

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    lol...well you might need to get a bit more out of her..if its coming in strands...thats packed...should come loose or clumped even...the smell is most likely because it is in there too long,tox is building,n ..it would be good to give her 3 cc cd antitoxin 2 times a day to keep toxicity from building until she poops it all out and stays regular..plus the probios..: )

15. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Can I get cd antitoxin at TSC?

16. ogfabby

ogfabby New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    Yes, ts has cdt antitoxin

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  18. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  19. MotleyBoerGoats

MotleyBoerGoats The Motley Boer Ranch

Mar 23, 2013
    Aww she is so cute wow she is beautiful

20. boyd59

boyd59 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    My Ts doesn't have it Arrrrg!!!!

Vet line is busy ill call back in a few. Hopefully they will have a vile i can pick up.