The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new thread about a 7 day old male boar kid that mama had no colostrum or milk. I did a fecal on mom and she did have high worm load. Baby had some store bought colostrum and now on whole milk. He weighed about 9-1/2 pounds when i weighed her this evening before his bottle. I am feeding 1 bottle of Apx 8 oz whole milk 4 times a day, total daily Apx 32 oz daily. Is this enough? I have started with the pinch of soda in first bottle every morning. He can eat 2 bottles if you give it to him. Any thing else I need to be doing? Do I start Coccidia prevention next week? Thanks for your input. I am headed to pasture to feed in one hour.

Reactions: tiffin

·
Registered
895 Posts
If anything that is too much. 9 1/2 lbs x 16 oz = 152 oz 152x 10% = 15.2 oz divided by 4 feedings per day equals 3.8 oz per feeding minimum. Adjust as necessary, judge by his sides. You don't want him to look pot bellied, but full, firm. Don't overfeed him....that can cause a whole other set of problems. I know he will cry and try to guilt you into giving him more, but stay strong. I typically let mine start nibbling feed with coccidia prevention meds in it around 3-4 weeks It seems that any earlier, and they get the pellets hung in their throats....but it could just be my feed manufacturer.

·
TKC Farms
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anything that is too much. 9 1/2 lbs x 16 oz = 152 oz 152x 10% = 15.2 oz divided by 4 feedings per day equals 3.8 oz per feeding minimum. Adjust as necessary, judge by his sides. You don't want him to look pot bellied, but full, firm. Don't overfeed him....that can cause a whole other set of problems. I know he will cry and try to guilt you into giving him more, but stay strong. I typically let mine start nibbling feed with coccidia prevention meds in it around 3-4 weeks It seems that any earlier, and they get the pellets hung in their throats....but it could just be my feed manufacturer.
When he drinks the whole bottle he doesn’t appear pot bellied. (If I’m looking at it correctly) I’ll try to take before and after pics this morning. Thank for the formula, I’ll add this to my notes.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
We use a popular chart that recommends 10-20% of their body weight. Our boers are usually on the 20% side. Of course, I always make sure to watch and feel their bellies to determine what’s the perfect amount for them. It will vary on each individual kid.

·
TKC Farms
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here are pics before, during and after feeding
Human body Plant People in nature Fawn Grass
before feeding
Plant Horse Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal
during feeding
Beak Plant Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl Wood
after feeding
Beak Plant Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl Wood
after feeding

·
TKC Farms
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leg Human body Dog breed Swan Fawn
pic of her behind
He won’t stand still for pics.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Do you have a birth weight? Make sure he is gaining weight. Weigh often and adjust as necessary. Each kid is different. A lack of weight gain could indicate other issues. In one of the pictures he appears to be on the slim side but that could be due to the fact mom was unhealthy at his birth. You might want to be closer to the 20% side in which case you are right on target. As long as he isn’t scouring, bloating, or acting off, and he’s gaining weight, I’d say rock on!

·
TKC Farms
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a birth weight? Make sure he is gaining weight. Weigh often and adjust as necessary. Each kid is different. A lack of weight gain could indicate other issues. In one of the pictures he appears to be on the slim side but that could be due to the fact mom was unhealthy at his birth. You might want to be closer to the 20% side in which case you are right on target. As long as he isn’t scouring, bloating, or acting off, and he’s gaining weight, I’d say rock on!
No birth weight. I’m guessing Apx 5 pounds. I gave her a bottle and a half this evening. I think I’ll move more to one and a quarter bottle, 4 times a day. I’ll be going to feed shortly. I was late feeding this evening by about an hour and a half. I ordered me a baby scale that weighs in pounds and ounces.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts