Baby shower ideas

Discussion in 'Crafty Cabin' started by prairiewolf, Jul 17, 2009.

1. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    I am hosting a baby shower for my sister. I have already found some great youtube videos showing how to make a diaper cake. (If you haven't heard of this check it out, really neat!) But I am looking for other ideas. Has anyone made their own invitations? I thought that would be neat and so much more special than the fill in the blank ones you buy at wal-mart but only if it looked nice, I don't want it just to look like I was trying to be cheap. Would LOVE ideas on that or anything else relating to baby showers! Thank you!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have publisher on your computer? they have a card making program and if you flip it and put the paper back and print again you can just cut it in half and you dont have to fold it in 4ths but only in half - people around here are always making their own cards adn invitations

or you could just make a one page invitation - like a half page size. thats real popular now too.

3. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    I have a card making program. That is a good idea, thanks!

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for a friends baby shower we did this game - sounds sort of gross but it gives lots of laughs.

YOu take a number of diapers (clean new ones) and then the same number of chocolate bars (almond joy, butterfinger, snickers etc) and you smash the chocolate bars and mush them up then you place them in the diapers and give each diaper a number.
    The game is for everyone to smell the diapers and to write down what kind of chocolate candy bar it is - again lots of laughs and a good time all around. Of course you will want a prize for the one who gets the most right

We also played a version of "the price is right" where each "contestant" had to guess how much a common baby item would cost (baby food, baby power, diapers, rash ointment etc) if they got it correct the MC would award the new mama to be a gift card to say Walmart or babys R us etc (gift cards were for like 5.oo or so)

my aunt got these ideas from googling them I am sure you could find something if you searched for "baby shower games"

oh and congrats to your sister

5. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    Great ideas! Thank you so much!

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very welcome

7. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Stacey - We did the diaper/chocolate game at a shower...MAN did we get reactions! :)

I have a chocolate mold that makes 3-D 1/4 pound white chocolate 'rubber' duckies...it's cute for a shower!

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I just had a baby shower here for my cousin. For invitations, we tooka picture of her belly and made it black and white, put it on pink paper and made it like a post card. As for games we got little pink clothespins and when you came in the door you got one pinned to your shirt. If you heard anyone say the word "cute" you got to take their pin at the end of the shower the person with the most pins got a prize. I got lots of pins when we did the gifts...lol
    We did the yarn around the belly thing, you can also do this with toilet paper. Itrems on a tray, put fifteen to twenty items on a tray have everyone look at it for a few seconds and then give them two minutes to write down as many as they can remember. Baby items we included were bottle nipple dishes spoons wash clothes socks hair bows etc. Word scrambles.
    As for prizes we went to bath and body works and hit their sale section, we got lotions and body splash's people got to pick things when they won a game.
    If you plan on doing food fruit is a great way to go about if youre in a hot area. We made a veggie pizza and those little mints a lot of people use at their weddings, nuts.
    A friend of the mom to be, made a book where we all got to write down comments and guess weight length and time of birth. She took lots of pictures of tracee her belly and her and her son. It made a good gift and something to pass around.

this is all i can think of for now.
    beth

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Another thing i just remembered, we did at one a few years ago for my friend jessica, We got a whole bunch if diapers, and wrote funny sayings on them. Things like this ones for you dad etc. Its lots of fun for mom or dad to be up in the middle of the night and read what the diaper says.
    beth