baby sitting sheep with our goats

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Apr 25, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Is there any risk to bringing a couple sheep into our goat pasture for a few days?

Our friend is getting married on her parents hobby farm, and they want to ditch the sheep for the wedding.

They have asked if we would watch them. Is there any risk to putting two sheep with our 3 boer goats?

I have heard that sheep have risky feet problems, so I'll ask about that to the owner. Do the goat risk contracting feet issues?

Any other reasons not to mix the breeeds? We've have sheep with our goats before while raising, but never for a short stay.

I do know that you can't mix foods because of copper.

Thanks in advance
  2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    If the sheep come have hoof rot yes, but you have the same chance get it form other goat is you do from the sheep. Goat and sheep both get hoof rot, sour mouth, fungus, cocci, worms you get the idea. Most of the thing that only one of the specie gets is genetic(sp). I would think your biggest problem would be the normal fighting when add new animal to the herd. Sorry if this sound like a rant it just bugs me/something makes me laugh to listen to people who have only goats or sheep blame the other specie for causing or spread diseases. Some of the things also effect cattle, pigs and horses even people. Shelly

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    if the sheep are healthy just like any goat you bring in you have the same risks.

I would check them over before saying yes and watching them. If they look healthy (eyes bright, no scours, no foot rot etc) then remove any minerals you have in the pen (just in case) and feed just hay for the time they are there.