Baby Size...

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by lesserweevil, Oct 20, 2007.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    weird title huh?

:p well I'm bored so I thought I'd start a thread for the AVERAGE size of dairy goatbabies.

So we need an average size for LaManchas, Saanens, Oberhaslis, Toggenburgs, Nubians, etc. etc.

So... post away :D

all I can help with is the Saanen - by taking all the weights from this spring and dividing them into an average:

8.25, 8.5, 6.75, 7.25, 10.5 = 41.25 (that's a lot of baby)
    divided by five...

my average Saanen baby weight is:

8lb 4oz.

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    not sure about other alpines but mine are usually between 9 & 13 lbs each. for some reason mine always have huge babies. i had a doe one time that had trips & they weighed 8, 8 1/2 & 9 lbs & she didn't even look that big.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    7-8 lbs is average for my LaManchas, Saanens were around 8lbs.

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    o.k. i don't know how mine got posted twice. i only did it once. is there away to delete one of them?

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I will delete the second post

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
  7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

my babies are usually between seven and ten lbs. Average for alpines i would guess. We had two fourteen lb buck kids one year. My poor doe was huge. I don;t know how she got those boys out on her own.
    Then there was tempo, always had big kids. Two years ago she had a fourteen lb buck and a seventeen lb doe kid! last year she had normal sized triplets.
    beth

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    OMG that doe kid must have come out ready to start running. that is huge.

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    yah ready to wean straight off :D

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We had one boer doe, her kids come with FULL bellies, pre nursed is what we call it :lol: She had the fattest kids this year.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LOL thats a new one on me! Pre nursed i like it.

Lyric was a big girl. Had to pull both of them. They had three front feet in the birth canal. I kept telling em they weren't coming out like that. The buck kid was underneath his sister he had two feet and his head was back. she had one foot in there. Everytime i would get his feet pushed back and get her going in the right direction one of his feet would pop back out.

took awhile but we finally got them moving in sync

beth

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I hate it when they do that! LIke when Whissy had her twins there were 4 feet in the birth canal and no heads - the bottom twin was upside down and the top twin had its head on its stomach basically...

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    When April delivered she had three kids trying to come out at once, that was interesting. When that happens, my dad's the one who can untangle everybody really good :)

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, those are some really big babies. I thought my babies last year there were 9.50 and 9.25. Twins. She always has bigger babies, the biggest of all my does. Her first baby ever was 11lbs. Most all my babies are between 5-8 lbs. That explains why all your babies are so big so fast. I have read where some of the wethers are butchered at 6 month. my kids are still pretty small at 6 months. (I would never butcher mine any way) :D

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I guess they can still be considered "dairy"...cause of the Nigerian Dwarf in them...but my babies average from 3 to 5 1/2 pounds.....Teeny compared to the big dairy breeds...my goodness my babies are almost 3 months old before they hit 12 pounds!! :D

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My boer wether was 80 lbs by the time he was three months! :shock: He was like 10 lbs at birth I think, 1 of trips. The other two were 9lbs and 2 lbs(a runt but she's doing ok now)
    We had one boer doe that had triplet bucks, and they were all 10.5 lb kids! and there was a TON of afterbirth, she was really empty when she was all done. My dad and brother moved her to a maternity pen after 2 kids because they thought she was done, then once they got her in the pen she popped out a third on dad's coat! :)

17. Stacie

Stacie Guest

Oct 18, 2007
    My average wts for the Saanens this last year was 9#, the average on the meats was 8#. With the smallest being 4.5# and the largest being 16#and 15 # twins.
    Aren't you supposed to be studying for your flying stuff? How could you possibly be bored? Maybe I can't pick on you on this site?

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    droopymole.freeforums.org You can pick on here there all you want :D

19. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    between 2-4 lbs here...Lol...yep...minis here!!!Hahahaha! :lol:

20. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Here's mine, I had all nubian/alpine crosses.

11.5, 12, 8.5, 9, 11, 10: 62lbs divided by 6

is

10.3 lbs average. I hope I don't have such big kids this year.... nobody had problems this year but next I will have ff's.... my does weren't even on alfalfa! They were on fescue and bermuda.