Baby stepped on

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by strothergoats, Mar 12, 2008.

1. strothergoats

strothergoats New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Have a little 3lb doeling that was apparently stepped on by mom last night right after birth. I missed the birth by 10 mins and noticed when we got her in that her tummy was distended, like she just ate. She drinks fine 3oz at a feeding, but no strength in her back end to stand on her own. She peed last night but nothing this morning. She is alert and active. I have felt some broken ribs about 3 towards her head. Gave her a little banamine and some bose last night. Any suggestions? I have not the heart to put her down. So just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    they are pretty agil but i would have done what you already di plus i would give her some nutra drench to help with the stress I also would contact a vet.

3. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Oh goodness, Lori. I'm so sorry. According to my vet, goat bones seem to heal better than most ruminants in her oppinion, so hopefully that is all it is and she can handle to stress of it so young. I would do exactly as you are. You can also use baby Motrin at double the dose, they seem to like the taste of that. Prayers going coming from Alabama! :pray:
  4. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I had a horrible experience with motrin a little while back. We had a doe that bloated and was grinding her teeth really bad. A fellow goat breeder told us to give her baby motrin and plain yougurt. Did that. Less than 2 min. After getting all the motrin down, she was dead. Baby Tylonel may be a better solution (not sure if you double the does though).

Also, if she wont walk on her hind end, you can try to "train" the legs to stand by wrapping a towel around her belly as close to the hind legs as possible to hold her up and gentle lower her body so that some weight is placed on those back legs. Im not sure if you are farmiliar with a pain response test? This will tall you if any kind of nuerological transmissions are being sent from the brain and reaching the hind legs. Pinch her hoof pads (you may have to really pinch hard). If she moves her foot, the receptors are picking up the pain and are reaching the foot. Its like if you put yourt hand on a hot stove, your brain automatically tells you to take your hand off, its a reflex. If she moves her foot, there is a lot of hope that she will get better (tho not %100) if there is no movemenet, then chances are slim without veterinary help and intensive treatment.

I had a nubian buckling that was stepped on by a friends donkey. For about a week there was absoluetly no response in those legs but we took him to the vet after that first week and the vet was able to get a pain response from him! I cried when I saw that little foot move. Unfortunatly, Rodney never improved passed that and his front legs were starting to atrophy from the weight so we put him down. He had also lost all control of his bladder movemenets. Does your little girl seem to be able to control her bladder?

I am praying for you and are little girl. I truely hope she will begin to improve for you. Benamine is a GREAT thing to be giving right now. :pray:

With hope,
  5. strothergoats

strothergoats New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Re: Baby stepped on *Update

Well I was very worried up until about 3pm when she finally peed a flood and pooped! Never thought I would be so excited. she has been laying down not moving too much and then tonight she decided it was time to stand. Now she cant do it by herself as she is still too weak from the all day laying and resting. So with some help she put weight on all four and stood until she gave out and then we rested. So physical therapy is in the makings here. She is eating and doing good for right now. We are hoping the distended belly is bruised organs. Thanks for everything.

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Good to hear after her really rough start- I hope she's just never looks back. I can just see the "physical therapy" now. It's good to know her plumbing was not damaged.
  7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Just found this thread.. It sounds like you are doing very well with the poor little girl. I hope she continues to improve for you!
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Lori. I hope everything works out. I have no experience at all in this so I have nothing to say other then I hope this little one pulls thought just fine.
  9. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    FYI, my vet says not to give motrin to goats. I didnt ask why I just trusted that he had a good reason. I dont know about tylenol. We use baby aspirin but in case she may have injuries you wouldnt want anything thinning the blood for more bleeding internally. sorry it wasnt much help but I have been told not to use motrin for goats.
  10. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    I'm glad to read shes doing better. :pray: for a full recovery
  11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Lori, how's your little girl doing? Don't know how I missed this...hope she's ok.