The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Yes please someone answer this!!

I've got twins ... one smaller than the other as pretty much normal. They're 3 days old now, Melli is 8lb, Carrie is 9.

run1251 ... From my experience, 9-10lb is pretty normal, but it varies a lot with multiple births, FFs, etc.

Thing is Melli seems to eat a lot less than Carrie too (by appetite choice) ... and she's less pushy, less active, although she bounces, just not as often as Carrie.

I'm wanting to know how fast she should gain weight so I can check in a few days and be sure she's doing OK.

She drinks as often as Carrie, but loses interest sooner, and is always a little hollower looking.

· Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,806 Posts
We have larger goats so this may not totally apply but at birth weights usually range from 6-10 lbs. Mostly depending upon number of kids born. The more their are the more the birth weight is spread across. But not unusual to have 1 or 2 much larger at birth leaving a runt of say 3 lbs to play catch up. Single kids also tend to be larger. Here 10-14 lbs is common. Yes, I know, poor goates :)

As for weights at 3 months old, sex also can factor in with boys being slightly bigger and heavier then their sisters. But Id say 30-50 lbs is pretty standard here. If I remember right Legion was 125 lbs by the time he was 10 months old. But he is well above normal on growth.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Our first birth is due Feb. 4th and I am designing a club house play area that will be a series of cubes randomly stacked and I want the bottom open so little ones can get under various spaces that are too small for adults. I'll work off the size of a 30-40 lb dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.