baby with eye injury

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Laurel_Haven, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    We have a 6 day old buckling that was delivered by C-Section who has an eye injury due to being scratch in the eye during attempts to get him out of his momma. It seems to be very sore and he is now keeping it closed most of the time. What can I put into his eye to help it heal and soothe the pain some. Does anyone know of an ointment or anything that may help this poor baby’s eye feel better. He does open and use it some but I can tell it hurts him a lot and the light/sun seems to really bother it so he often just keeps it closed. I tried holding a warm compress on it but that just seemed to upset him even more. I thought there has to be some kind of ointment on the market that others have used for eye injuries that helps ease the discomfort. Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and this baby boy.
    Thanks,
    Tina

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Do NOT put anything in the eye until you do a flourescene stain and make sure that the cornea is not scratched. Reason being if it is scratched and you put the wrong meds in the eyes, it could cause blindness. Your vet could easily do the stain and then tell you which meds to use.

Good Luck and let us know!

3. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Two of our goats last year had eye injuries during a difficult birth and we took them to the vet and he did the stain test and gave us prescription steroid eye drops. It took a while to get better but they did heal. Also we had to be careful not to put too much steroid in the eyes as that would also cause damage.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It could be an entropian, that is when stuff gets under the eyelid during birth, the eye usually swells up and weeps. The vet has to inject penicillin the eyelid, or put staple thingys in the eyelid to turn it back out.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If entropian is the same in goats as it is in domesticated animals, entropian is when the eyelid itself turns in towards the eye and the lashes and lid itself rub on the eye causing the irritation. I have never heard of it being corrected with injections, as we always went in and surgically removed a piece of skin under the eye and then stitched it back together to keep the lid from rolling in towards the eye. 90% of the time, it was always the lower lid, but, as in the case of my old boxer, she had it on both eyes and all 4 lids.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    In goats(actually it is most common in sheep) it is usually the upper eyelid that is swollen, although the lower can be too. We fix it with a homeopathic remedy, but since that probably isn't available to you(if it is, the remedy is Borax, not the laundry soap though) the vet book says you correct it with either an injection of pen. in the eyelid to stiffen it, or clips inserted in the eyelid to help turn it back in.

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks so much for the advice, I will call in my vet tomorrow and let you all know how we made out. This poor fellow has already been through so much. He lost his mother from the c-section was with her when she passed, has been on antibiotics for blood in his poo, then on an anti diarrhea medicine prescribed by the vet. You would have thought the vet would have done something for his eye already, if something could have been done. This buckling came to me at 4 days old from a friend who lost the doe days after the c-section. She is almost certain she scratched his eye trying to get him out. She said she had her fingers in his mouth and everywhere on his face as she was certain he was already dead. But he wasn't! It has just been one thing after another for this boy. Wish us luck that it is nothing serious, he deserves it after everything he has been through. Yet you wouldn’t know it to see him, as he is the sweetest, happiest, and most content baby ever. We just adore him. Thanks again and I never thought about a vet doing a stain first before treating it, so thanks for the advice and I will use it.
    Tina

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Good to know Sarah - THANKS!!!!!

Tina - Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing!!

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Update- Buckling was seen by vet this morning and first thing he noted was that he has Photophobia (light sensitivity) in that eye along with inflammation. First he put a numbing drop in his eye, then he did a stain and used a special light and could see a small abrasion on the eye. So yep his breeder was right, she did scratch his eye trying to get him out of the birth canal. “After examining it more he seemed more concerned with the inflammation as he said the scratch was not severe and should heal with time. But the swelling can cause pressure to the nerves behind the eye which could result in permanent damage. So he gave me some prescription eye drops Perdnisolone Acetate Ophth Solution which he said is a cotricosteroid for the inflammation and antibiotic to prevent the risk of a bacterial infection from the abrasion. He said he should have some relief within a few days but it may take a few weeks before it is completely healed and back to normal.
    While the vet was here I told him the story behind this boy and how he had such a hard stressful delivery that finally resulted in a C-Section on the dam who later died from it. So he gave him a thorough examine and found him to be bruised around his front leg. Apparently from all the pulling to get him out. This buckling is so good and content that he never once complained about his leg hurting or even showed any signs of discomfort or limping. But the vet clearly found muscle bruising and said it had to be sore and painful to him and he did wince once when the vet was pushing and pulling on it. But that should heal in time as well. I am just amazed at how tough this little guy is. He never complains. I just hope he is okay now and has no more rough patches in his life for a long time to come as he has been through enough already.
    Thank you so very much for all your advice, you were right on about the treatment and meds he would need. Our new buckling “Legacy” thanks you as well!

Tina

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so happy to hear that he will heal! And his name is perfect!

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Thats good to hear the vet found out what was wrong with him. :)