The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, it's been a while. One of our pygmy goats gave birth to twins yesterday, sometime in the morning. Today when I went to check on them one of the babies, a brown girl, was limp and cold. I saw her drinking colostrum and she was active yesterday. I brought her home and dipped her in a warm bath (100 degrees) in a Ziplock for 10-minute increments, about 5 times. I heated her up with a heating pad and blow dryer in between. I also put honey underneath her tongue. About 40 minutes later she began to make sucking noises, moving her legs a bit, as well as crying. However, her tongue was cold so I didn't give her any colostrum. I returned her to the bath again but she suddenly seemed to have much less energy. I massaged her legs and returned her to the heating pad with a towel but still no improvement. Her tongue was now warmer so I tried to give her milk, where she was suckling before, and now she wasn't. She started to degrade so I kept using the blowdryer and made sure she wasn't dehydrating. I barely dripped colostrum down her throat so she could get something in her stomach, if anything, in fear of aspiration. Her body and tongue were now warm but her mouth itself is still cold. I gave her some warm maple syrup under her tongue in place of honey to see if she would suckle but nothing. She started to have sudden seizure like things- eyes wide, limbs stretched, tail or ear flicking, and they increased. She is now in a fluffy blanket and heading pad and is sleeping. I'm checking up on her to make sure she is breathing and she cries occasionally. No more seizures but I am wary of them coming back. How do I help?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: There is a wet spot underneath her but I don't know what it's from. Did she pee? Why is it underneath? Also her mouth is now completely warm and the seizures have stopped for now. No suckling

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have any vitamin b complex?

Rub cayenne with raw honey on her gums.

If she is warm now she needs to be fed. If she won't suckle you will need to tube her with momma's milk.
How do I tube? I don't have one of the long syringes.
I'll put the honey mix on her gums and then check her rectal temperature.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Go ahead and give the injectable B orally...1/2 cc ..Do the cayenne and honey on her tongue, Work on warming her up..either a hot water bath again or under a towel as a tent use a blow dryer to warm the air under the mack shift tent. DO not blow air on baby..just warm the air. Keep your hand under the tent to be sure baby doesn't get too hot...turn air off on on as needed.
Have you seen her poop? If not she may need an enema. Not pooping will build toxicity and bring her down.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry everyone, I wish I could have done more. She let out one final cry and was seizing and threw her head back. She was so beautiful

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Awe im so sorry. Yes make sure the others are well fed, warm and pooping. ((Hugs))

1 - 20 of 27 Posts