The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 week old baby that has been bottle raised since day2. She has been taking the bottle fine until yesterday she took only half what she normally has in a day. The other change has been her poop has been a better consistency but has a bad odor. I'll get a stool sample tested tomorrow but until then should I let her eat only what she wants or should I try to drench her the rest? She was taking 16-18oz a day?

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
It sounds like you could be overfeeding her. A good rule of thumb is to convert the babies weight to ounces, multiply by 12%, and divide that by 4. At 7 pounds, that puts her at 14 ounces of milk per day.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances that haven't been mentioned, I would not tube or drench the milk she is refusing. The scours are probably knocking her appetite off a bit, but drenching milk could aggravate them. Is she eating hay? If so, you might try giving her a little straight grass hay and maybe a little pepto bismol. Both of those will calm her tummy and help firms things up until you can get the fecal done.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
sounds like she is not digesting her milk....stop milk for 12-24 hours, give electrolytes instead for now.....let her tummy settle...give cd antitoxin to help her deal with the toxcity that may be building..once she is acting well and drinking well then slowly reintroduce her milk again....

at 7 pounds her weight in oz is 112 oz.x 10%=11.2 oz of milk she needs per day...divide that into 4 feedings....that would be 2.8 oz per feeding...I would sneak up to 3 oz...

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the replies! My husband mentioned we had some electrolytes so I gave her that instead of the milk at her last feeding and she took about 2oz. The good thing is she actually wanted it! So, I think I will give her that at least for today and then ease back into the milk. I really do appreciate all the help and ideas. I've raised many babies and they all are different......so it's great to get info from others that may have delt with something I haven't. Just hope I can help someone along the way. Thanks. ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Hi Boats..

have you had a fecal done to check and see if he has worm load? if so what worm did they find and how was he treated for them
What is his diet like...is he a buck or wether?

wet graze, too much feed, introduction of new foods too quick..all these things can cause loose stool...try probiotics daily and see if it helps him regulate his poop....If you need further help, please start your own thread so you dont get lost in this one..: ) and you will get more replies ...

Best wishes

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Good advice on stopping feeding. Two main things cause stinky poo. Foppy kid syndrome or e-coli. They are both a bacteria overload. Here is a little blurb about floppy kid.

Affects kids from 3-21 days of age. Some get it younger or older, they can have it twice.
Is found in dam raised kids, as well as bottle raised kids.
Is caused by clostridial type AE bacteria.
Clostridial bacteria, such as Tetanus live in the ground.
Is treatable if caught early.

Did this kid get his CD/T vaccine?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts