Baby with yellow runny poo??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have a four week old kid that has smelly toothpaste-like yellow poo. I started everyone on their preventitive Sulmet today (her included) to me this sounds like E-Coli, what do you think?? And what is the treatment for E-Coli?

2. morganslil1

morganslil1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    north carolina
    Scour halt is suppose to work on e-coli other than that I really dont know. Wish I could be of more help.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    scour halt or LA 200 (though I know you don't like it, that is what is the recomendation in my vet book)

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Do you know if I can get Scour Halt at Tractor Supply? I have been meaning to order it but just haven't gotten around to it (go figure!)

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they do have it at mine - so hopefuly they have it at yours

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i posted a few days ago about a baby with the same thing. She is doing better now, but now i have a buck kid with the same thing. he will be two weeks on monday. i thought the only treatment for e-coli was antibiotics. And then i found this stuff at the farm store i work it called dexamycin its not labeled for goats (only cows sheep pigs) but it says it treats e-coli in those anumals. So im wondering if its alright for goats? Has anyone ever heard of it?
    beth

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you check what the active ingredient is?

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

no but i will tomorrow if i can remember
    beth

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    No more runny poo, I didn't give her anything other that the Sulmet and quite a bit of dried blackberry leaves which she loves. I'll see how she is tomorrow though..

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok, the name just strikes me as possibly derrived from the same active ingredient in LA 200 and Biomycin

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yea i was thinking the same thing too stacey. there is also a package labeled teramycin, same name as the eye ointment but i havnt had enough down time to read that one yet. My favorite thing to do when were slow at work i go find a product to read about, or a book about one animal or another.
    beth

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hehe I do that at work, but it is hair care products and style books! LOL If I had animal stuff to read about I would be MUCH happier - not that I Don't like my job, I do

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I thought that Sulmet helped with E COli although I don't suppose it is a powerful treatment.
    I took the opportunity to dry and bag some blackberry leaves befor the snows started again. I glad that I have something to help if I need it - and it's FREE!