Back from the vet....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Muddy Creek Farm, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I just got back from taking my doe Ginger to the vet. she has been limping for a while but it too sooo long to get into the vet. Well she has no muscle in her left front leg. Due to an injury I think my former herd queen "gave" her. I am sad because if we can't rebuild her muscle we will have to sell her to a pet home. She is two months pregnant, so we will be retaining all of her doelings. The good thing is she IS NOT in any pain, and the vet said it wouldn't have made a lik of difference whether we took her in right away or a year after the fact.

2. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I'm so sorry to hear of Ginger's injury. At least you will have her doelings to continue her line. As long as she's not in pain her quality of life will not suffer. That's the most important thing, but I know how disappointed you must be. :hug:

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I was relieved to hear she was not in pain. Walking around the pasture she didn't appear to be in pain so I was glad to find that out for sure from the vet. She is one of the bosses around here and has her own clique lol. She is the sweetest thing too.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry that this has happened to your doe -

Good luck and I hope she continues to be pain free.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Too bad about such a freak thing-Did the muscle just atrophy due to injury? Did the doc know whether she will get worse or stay the same? Anyway she seems to be coping well- it's good to know that she is not in pain.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think it is as bad as it is going to get. The vet didn't say much, just that she was a good weight and that we were feeding her good food etc... It basically disinigrated, she has just about no muscle. But she can walk normal in new situations, probably something with adreniline (sp?) or atleast that is what I think....

It is her lower leg that has lost the most muscle.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh Chelsey, I'm so sorry to hear that :hugs: I know how you feel though, one of our Saanens, Proxy, she has lost all muscle mass in her front leg, so much so that she can't straiten her leg. We are working on her to see if we can't get that back. We aren't breeding her this year but I am going to breed her for one last time next year to see if I can get a doe kid out of her, she's never had one :cry:

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    How does Proxy do when she is pregnant? I just hope Ginger gives us a doeling!

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    With Proxy, this is actually an old injury from her last pregnancy(if you haven't heard about Proxy, she is our incredibly fat lazy Saanen) This last pregnancy(2 bucks, btw :roll: ) she had gotten her foot caught in the hay feeder and we think that she probably fractured it. She never limped on it, we gave her arnica, but then in June I noticed that her shoulder had lost all muscle mass, her one knee(on the previously injured leg) was all swollen as were her hoof and that joint in front of the dewclaw(forget what it is called) We called the vet out to put her down, and the vet said that she had arthritis, probably from the old injury(she tested neg. for CAE twice at her breeders) and that her muscle mass was gone due to her not using her leg. We are giving her remedies, keeping an eye on her personality, we've had the chiropracter out a couple times and now we are working on myofascial therapy for her. They all seem to be helping a bit. If she can't be bred by next fall she'll just have to be a pasture ornament.

Anywho, got of topic there(sorry to steal your thread) When Proxy was pregnant she laid around a lot, we made sure she walked everyday. Towards the end of her gestation she had a hard time walking, she could still use all four legs though.

So what did your herdqueen do to her that caused this? I assume a butt, but it must have been pretty hard to do this much damage.

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I am so sorry Chelsey! I hope she has all doelings for you! What a shame for such a pretty little girl!

Sarah I hope Proxy has all doelings for you this time, too! :D

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Yeah Ginger's joint in the front of the dew claw was swollen too. My former herd queen got her REALLY badly in the shoulder blade, she was NOT prepared to get "butted" so hard. I think that is probably when she fractured her shoulder blade. The vet said that her shoulder has healed fine though...

Thanks Jacque.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh that sucks :( So she just has stopped using her one leg? Does she have swelling anywhere else in her leg? I'll ask my mom and see if the myofascial could help your Ginger any.

PS, Thanks Jacque, but she's not getting bred this year, I don't think she can take it.

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    No, ,that is the weird part. She DOES use her leg. And she is just as active as everyone else. The swelling has gone away.
    I trimmed her feet today, so maybe that'll help a bit.

14. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Sorry to hear about your doe...perhaps in time the muscle will return...who knows, especially because she does still use her leg, and is just as active as everyone else; sometimes it just take a lot longer for it to come back than with other injuries.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hmmmm..... That's wierd.

Well all I can suggest is if you can find a veterinary chiropracter in your area to assess her bones(a chiropracter would be more likely to find something wrong than a regular vet) and a chiropracter may also be able to shine some light on the situation.

I talked to my mom about the myofascial, she is still trying to learn it for Proxy but she said that they still can build muscle back. I don't understand it fully, but myofascial is trigger point therapy, finding points in the muscles that cause problems elsewhere, and massaging those points out to get relief for the animal. If you can find a myofascial therapist for horses, or if you have enough people in the area that might be interested there is a lady in MO that will travel to teach classes.

I'm also trying to think if there is anything mineral that could help you.

16. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thanks, it will be interesting to hear if it helps Proxy. To me it seems like the muscle could come back, but I'm no expert lol.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh, also, if you were to find some sort of equine therapy group on like yahoo groups, I'm sure they could tell you how to rebuild muscle :)

18. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    This is an interesting thread. A friend just told me she just got a well bred and titled buck and was surprised it was so thin. The seller claimed it was due to his being in rut and she said he had not been eating. Well, my friend had this buck evaluated by an experienced, qualified goater who instantly said this buck had not been getting enough to eat. Sure enough, when my friend got him home he just gobbled down food like there was no tomorrow.
    Anyway, what I'm getting at is the goater who examined him said he lacked muscle mass and had possibly been "ruined" by this poor management. My question is can he get this muscling back through good nutrition and is there anything else - supplements, etc that would help?

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Titled, like MCH? Bucks definatly do get thinner while in rut. But it does sound as if he was starved (or wasn't fed enough).

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Take a look at Kitty(we dont' own her anymore, we sold her about a month ago) : http://www.freewebs.com/sandylanefarm/kitty.htm

Now, I don't remember quite well, but she was pretty emaciated, you could stick your fingers inbetween her ribs and vertabrae. She had been like that for a couple years, the previous owners didn't starve her, but they didn't feed her well either. Her story is basicly there, we got her on a good diet, barley, BOSS and good minerals are important for things like this. Since you said that the previous owners of this buck starved him, any minerals he was lacking he should be getting now and that will help him tremendously on his road to recovery.

Also another thing that might help is Fastrack, which is a microbial supplement, we give it to our heavier milkers that have a hard time with their weight and it helps them a lot. PM me if you want more info, I'm dealer for it.