The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. We live in a subdivision with a good sized backyard and a wooden privacy fence. A couple of months ago I bought two Nigerian Dwarf wethers. They are healthy and very sweet. I'm thinking I need to put them on some leashes and take them outside the fence occasionally in order to give them a change of scenery. Is there anyone else who has goats in a subdivision, and do you have any tips on how to keep them stimulated and happy?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have mine in a sub division, similiar situation. I walk my buck on a leash and my doe i let roam around the back yard with me out there. I have not started walking them around the neighborhood yet because I dont want to have to kill some idiots dog who isnt properly restrained. Else its a great idea. They learn the leash well, and with treats get used to it. Much like a puppy. Clyde goat has gotten used to his now so it doesnt bother him at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have mine in a sub division, similiar situation. I walk my buck on a leash and my doe i let roam around the back yard with me out there. I have not started walking them around the neighborhood yet because I dont want to have to kill some idiots dog who isnt properly restrained. Else its a great idea. They learn the leash well, and with treats get used to it. Much like a puppy. Clyde goat has gotten used to his now so it doesnt bother him at all.
Yes, we have walked one of ours using Wheat Thins as incentive. That's their favorite treats.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I live in a subdivision. My wife and I own two houses, side by side and have 9 nigis and 3 sheep. We take all of them outside of our yard to keep kudzu under control for some of our neighbors. I tether them to t-posts and keep an eye on them in case any dogs come up.

·
I'm watching you
22,258 Posts
A dog dazer and boots go a long way towards dogs. Really not that bad. I've had my goats everywhere without issues.
One time I had to chase my goats and lamb down the beach to get them off the pit bull they were running after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts