The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better and how do they compare price wise in the long run? Before I spend $40.00, I want to get some opinions.

·
Super Moderator
58,246 Posts
Baycox is the latest drug and it is only one dose. You do have to do 5 days for sulmet. I currently am using sulmet since it works for me. I'm waiting till things don't work to use the Baycox. But that is just what I'm personally doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just purchased some goats and have like 200ml of Baycox. I only have 2 mini alpines and exp. is in 1 year so Im never going to use my $50 worth. Shoot me a message and Im sure I can help out anybody wanting some.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
I use Baycox..cost wise isnt much a difference when you think you are only giving one dose ( 1 cc per 5#) compaired to five doses...less meds in the body,,easier to give and very effective and not bittler nasty like sulmet...I switched when Sulmet was not working..Ive only used 2 1/2 bottles in 2 seasons...wehave alot of kids..36 last season and 20+ this season..it was well worth the money IMO

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I use Baycox. The cost used to be significant (over $100. for my first bottle) but I was desperate. Now, I am giving a "preventive" dose at 3 weeks of age. On the kids I treat early, I have seen 0 cases of cocci. If the kid was showing signs (poopy butt) before I dosed (purchased kids or when I nursed some sick kids back to health for a neighbor), I have had to give a 2nd dose twice. I have 16-20 new kids/year, given the time it would take to dose these kids with Sulmet/DiMethox, 5-7 times, at 3-6-9 weeks, the time savings is significant. Depending on how you "value" your time, it could be that Baycox is actually cheaper. Since I'm OLD, I value my time more then you younger people may. Besides, Baycox actually tastes good! The kids line up for their "goodie". lol.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Baycox wins hands down. The out right cost is making it so I cant purchase it right now but once I can I WILL!

Without fail my kids would end up scouring right as I was about to have some one come see them. 5 days is to long for me to wait in times like that plus it doesnt always work!

Treating kids at 2-3 weeks of age BEFORE they show signs of coccidia (when you know you have it on your property like I do and kids suffer with it every year) really helps reduce or eliminate actual expressions of the parasite doing damage to them. I used my bottle after its expiration date. Took me 2 -3 years to go through the 200ml bottle (about 12 kids a year plus dams who I sometimes treated as well).

THATS A BIT ONE -- TREAT THE DAMS! They are shedding the eggs and are resistant to the coccidia but the kids pick up the eggs and arent able to handle it as well and succumb to the parasite. Best to treat dams just weeks before kidding so they arent shedding the eggs when kids are on the ground. Clean bedding areas and pens as good as possible and then treat kids at 2-3 weeks of age.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
THATS A BIT ONE -- TREAT THE DAMS! They are shedding the eggs and are resistant to the coccidia but the kids pick up the eggs and arent able to handle it as well and succumb to the parasite. Best to treat dams just weeks before kidding so they arent shedding the eggs when kids are on the ground. Clean bedding areas and pens as good as possible and then treat kids at 2-3 weeks of age.
What if you treated the dams, say a month or two before kidding? Would you still do it again closer to kidding?

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
horseprerace.com : ) no prescription

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks, HappyBleats, I ordered some today. Only $51.00 with shipping. If it tastes good and you only give one dose, it'll sure be worth the cost.

What is the dosage?

thanks again,
DonnaBelle

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
dose is 1 cc per 5#...treat once if no issues twice ten days aprat if you do have issues : ) my kids takeit pretty well...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dimethox 40% vs. Baycox

Tell you what, if I only have to dose twice with Baycox, 10 days apart and the stuff TASTES good, I'd sell one of DH's bird dogs to get a bottle of it.

Fortunately, when I do sell something, (just sold the horse trailer) I get to put the $ in the goat fund.

I tasted that Dimethox and it is super NASTY. No wonder the little darlings spit and sputter, I would too if someone dosed me with 3 cc's of that stuff, my gosh it is VILE. Did I say it was awful, yep it is.

DonnaBelle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts