The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buck that is young and he is pushy and just bad when I go in to feed he will knock the scoop out my hand take his head and push me with his horns and nip me when im doing something. he wont let the other goats eat and he strings the hay that I put out there all over the ground and wont eat it. He is being to be a menice and I don't want to get rid of him but obviously he has no respect for me !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have a hotshot? He needs to learn to respect you. Billy's can get very ornery. The problem is that orneriness can be very dangerous to you. They are smart and learn very quickly. Even something like a pig whip can help.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
well, your'e going to have to teach him respect. bring a spray bottle with water and vinegar in it. spray in his face when he's being bad, or pinch his ear.

are you using him to sire babies? if so, he can pass on his bad behaviour. if you're not going to use him to stud, you should wether him.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well he is the only billy I have im trying to start a herd and he was the closest thing to a full blood boer as I could get he is mixed and hes not big hes short with a big attitude problem both does are pregnant by him

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have started taking a stick in with me but when I think he has learned he shows he hasn't if I leave the stick behind he just does as he pleases and when I have the stick with me he rears up at me and bleats at me and runs around hopping. Could he be playing and im taking it wrong?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i doubt he's playing. if he's boer, then he's goign to get pretty huge (i'm thinking 200+ lbs). imagine him in full rut and coming at you? you won't stand a chance.

try the spray bottle and ear pinching. again, if you can't correct his behaviour, you'll have to have some decisions to make because an uncontrollable large animal with horns is a danger to you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hes mixed his moma was small hes about her height now his daddy was huge bout 4 ft at the back hes only a year old I don't know if he will grow any taller but he has a big set of horns on him and they hurt because I have felt them

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
well, you can only try to change his behaviour, and if you can't you'll have to make a hard decision. best of luck to you!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Nigerian Dwarf with horns and his hurt. I can't imagine a full sized goat. Anyway mine was terrible for butting me and leaving bruises. He butted the water bucket in my hands and got a good splash. Calmed him down. Now if he shows any sign of butting me, I drag him to the water bucket and throw water in his face. He leaves me alone then. I don't know about your buck but none of my goats like water thrown at them. He has really tamed down.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that actually sounds like a good idea my goat hate water too even though I give them baths

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
I second the earring; I've used that on any bucks that get rough with me. Haven't had to do it with my guy in ages because he learned fast - he was never very aggressive to begin with though, just a little pushy when I got between him and his girls. Grabbing the beard works well too but it can be harder to reach if they have their head down. It's also VERY handy for drenching! ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
Water balloons are great too. You don't have to be close to correct him and they're fun to use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My goats are good little Pygmys, but when they all run me over to get into the kitchen and "visit" - out comes the spray bottle - with or without vinegar! After remembering the spray bottle a few times... all it takes is me making a "Ffft! Ffft!" (spray bottle trigger) sounds and they all run back out - with no slippy wet kitchen floor. AHAHA!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now that is funny I can see them all stopping in there tracks and high tailing it out of there lol

·
14,725 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you can't break his habits fast, then the only thing he's good for is freezer camp! No way a buck with a snotty, dangerous attitude should be bred, it can be passed on. I've had a lot of people tell me this, and it does NOT matter if he's mix bred or not. A buck who wants to pick fights and has no respect is a buck that needs to be taken down and shown who is boss.

My rule here has always been - if I can't go into a pen without having to constantly watch my back, then they can not be here. There are so many nice mannered bucks out there, you just have to look for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts