Bad Cough.. Need medication suggestions.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by nesluopetan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    I gave my goat 5 shots of antibiotics in the last week to break this cough of his and it didn't fix it.. he still has a nasty cough.

I bought animal penicillin from my local farm store, should I give this a try? if so how many CC should I give him? how often? where do I inject it? let me know what you all recommend.. he is still eating but this nasty cough wont go away. he has free access to goat mineral as well. let me know thanks everyone.

nathan

p.s. he is about 7 months old.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Penicillan Shot

what was the antibiotic you gave him before? penicillin isnt that strong of an antibiotic so rarely is very helpful for respiratory issues.

In your case I recommend 1cc per 10lbs twice a day. You give this IM (in the muscle)

3. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah

i cant remember the name of the shot for the life of me.. if you named a few antibiotics i know which one it will be..

I will give him 3cc twice a day.. In the mean time is there anything else you can recommend for this cough?

4. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah

i also bought a thing of biomycin if you think that would be better.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

THere is a line of oxytetracycline = LA 200, Biomycin, Duramycin
    and there is another RX one that is escaping me right now -- off to bed with me will remember in the morning I am sure

6. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah

yeah it was a RX shot the vet gave me .. 5 days worth.. I cant remember the name of it but I have the paper at work. i can see tomorrow.. but it didn't seem to do any good so i need to try something else. so now I am just up for ideas on how to break this cough. i bought the biomycin, pennicilan and a vitamin b . If you think any of these will work let me know, if you have any other ideas please pass it along. he is still healthy and happy and his tail is up.. this cough is just nasty and I want to make him feel better. i am all up for ideas, if i need to go buy la-200 or any other medicine i will.. i just want to know what you all recommend I hit him with first.. how often and how much. thanks

7. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    please reply in the AM when you can and tell me what you recommend I hit him with.. if I don't have it I will go buy it. or if anyone else has suggestons please pass them along.. I lost one goat last week and I don't want it to happen again. i want to start the medications tomorrow for sure. Is it ok to hit him with two things? or can you only do one at a time? let me know what to do and I will do it. thank you so much

nathan

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it was probably Naxel.

No do not give pen and biomycin at the same time!

I would give the Biomycin 1cc per 20lbs for 3-5 days. if this doesnt clear up his cough he might have scar tissue that will always make him cough

9. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    once or twice per day?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    biomycin is once a day

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep....as Stacey said, he may always cough a bit after getting over it.....I have a 1yr old that had pneumonia (sp?) when I brought him home at 12 weeks and to this day he still coughs every now and then......vet was out a couple of weeks ago and said as long as no changes in the cough, not to worry...that he might always have a small cough.

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I personally treay with Bio-Mycin once every 3 days for 9 days at 1cc per 10lbs.... I would also give the paturella pneumonia vaccine after that as well. Make sure you clean out all of the bedding and goat pellets after treating with Bio-mycin that way they don't reinfect themselves as soon as you get them well.

13. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    i gave him the biomycin shot this morning and i came home tonight and he can barely walk :( he wont put any weight on his back leg and he hops around.. I must of hurt him somehow and I feel bad.. I don't think I can give him any more shots after seeing him right now. :(

where do I get the paturella pneumonia vaccine? is it a shot or do you give it orally? i think he has pneumonia so hopefully that helps him.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he has to be well before you give the vaccine

and if he had pasturella then the rest of the goats would have it to - it spreads like wild fire, talking from recent experience. Just sounds like he has some kind of respiratory issue not specifically pasturella

but like I said before you can have a nasal swab done to determine if it is pasturella or not = your vet can do this

15. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I believe you have Nigerians?

Be careful of the needle sizes. We switched to 1/2" needles, which do seem to be harder to find, but we needed to on the smaller little guys. We use 1/2" 20 guage for nearly everything, so far it's been working great. And I'm with you on giving shots, I can't stand it!! I always feel SO terrible afterward, but if you focus on what the outcome will be WITH the shots versus WITHOUT the shots, then it's much easier to get through.
    Hang in there.

Another thought, although it requires much more effort... you could call the vet's office and explain that you're hesitant to give him his shot and see if you can bring him into their office. They can show you exactly how to give the shot, and might even be willing to give it for you if really necessary. I can't imagine having a tech give a shot or show how to give a shot would be all that expensive at all. It's just an idea to try and help you out....you've been through alot lately.

take care & keep your chin up!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you get the shot IM or SQ?

17. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    do you think i did something wrong to why he is limping so bad now? I think I am going to lay off on the shots for awhile and see how he does. He hates me right now and runs from me when he sees me.. He thinks im the big bad meanie coming to stick him with needles.. I just feel bad he is limping.. do i need to do anything for him or do you think he will start to walk on his own?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you might have nicked a nerve -- it happens

If you gave the shot IM then you have to becareful but sometimes those oxytetracycline antibiotics can be a bit nasty and sting and cause discomfort

19. nesluopetan

nesluopetan New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Utah
    I thought I got it right in the muscle.. Maybe I went too far or put it in somewhere I shouldn't? it's hard to give him shots with all his hair. I tried to feel around first for the muscle.. Do I need to worry about him limping? can anything serious come from this? if so i need to get him to the vet asap. I hope i didn't cause permanent damage.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he should be better tomorrow

try SQ and pull back on the syringe to check to make sure you arent hitting a blood vessel