Bad day...Doe with scours and aborted

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sunny Daze, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    A few days ago I noticed 2 of my does with very liquidy diarrhea. It came on pretty suddenly, so I was thinking it was something they had eaten. They have been in the same pen and there is absolutely nothing growing there right now. The first thing I thought was maybe from the feed as I had recently started adding a small amount of calf manna although they went from completely normal stools to very liquid with no in between that I saw. I also had given them a goat mineral block about a week prior (they get free choice lose minerals but a friend gave me a brand new mineral block they had and weren't going to feed). So I quarantined them, put them on hay only and removed the remainder of the goat block from the doe pen. I gave banamine and probios as well as some pepto. Well one firmed up pretty quick but the other seemed to do better and then relapse. This morning I went out to find she had aborted :( They were both bred for March. I checked the other one and she seem to be acting fine and stools have been back to berries since yesterday, but as I was getting ready to head back to the house I noticed she seems to be losing her plug :shrug: All other does seem to be just fine. The hay has been a very nice quality, 2nd cutting orchard grass but maybe they got a hold of a random weed in there?

So I am trying to figure out what might cause both scours and abortion? I did give them some biosponge for the scours which my vet had given me before for that purpose (she said it was much like probios). It doesn't say anywhere not to use on pregnant animals but I am sure hoping that didn't cause them to abort :( They are not running a temp and the one that aborted already has been slighlty "off" but still with an appetite. I'm at a loss... :sigh:

2. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK

3. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    :( Oh man!! I am so sorry about whats happened!!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just to clarify.... March?
    that is to long gestation for goats ...it takes 5 months.....

Does late in pregnancy or in heat... will get messy....

Normally .....you will see blood.... if they are aborting .... :scratch:

Can you get pics?

5. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    They were not bred in March they are due in March. So they were about 80 days bred. The one definitely aborted 2 kids although she hasn't passed the afterbirth yet. The other that looked like she was starting to lose her plug earlier is acting normal and ligs are still tight so hoping I was just seeing things...keeping fingers crossed with her. They are both acting completely normal tonight although the one that aborted still has looser stools, not as bad as before though.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry your mama lost her babies :hug:

The loose poops is either what you already suspect, and it just affected her differently or there may have been a noxious weed in the hay. If she still has the runs, offer her some dry oatmeal...I know I literally preach about it but it really helps to bind the poop and will aid in preventing dehydration, it must be either old fashioned oats or quick cooking oats, not instant.

I've not ever used Bio Sponge so I don't know if that is what caused her to miscarry....what does the mineral block consist of? Is it labeled for goats ?

7. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    The mineral block was labeled for goats. I looked it over and everything looked fine in it. I no longer have the label unfortunately and can't remember the brand.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Dumor by chance? It's one I've seen at Tractor Supply thats labeled for goats. I asked mainly because I know theres one "out there" for horses that has a fly repellant added to it.

How is your doe doing now? If she hasn't yet delivered the placenta, you might be able to induce contractions by massaging her udder...I know she was due in March, but it would be worth a try even if she doesn't have a filled udder.

9. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Maybe...I will have to look at it tomorrow when I am in TSC and see if the label looks familiar. Wish I could remember. It was DEFINITELY labeled for goats and I did check it to make sure it didn't have any warnings about pregnant or lactating does. I did try and massage her udder earlier although there really wasn't much to massage. Unfortunately I have been sick this week with a fever and sore throat and this cold air just BURNS my lungs! I was out there quite a while earlier and am now about to hack up a lung! I am going to try and do one more check tonight otherwise will be calling the vet tomorrow for advice.

10. Allipoe

Allipoe New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Carissa, let me know if you need any help. I am (relatively, 1.5 hours from Hagerstown) close, and if you need an extra hand at some point I can come up and give you one since you are sick!!

11. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Oh my I am so so sorry.. :sigh:

12. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    My goodness Allipoe...your are a sweet sweet person. Carissa, I'm praying for you and your girls tonight.

13. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Aww, thanks Alli. I am managing ok and thank goodness hubby got back this week. He isn't much into the critters but he has been going out and helping so I get done quicker and is on a store run right now. I was supposed to work today but had to call in. I hardly ever get sick so I though for sure I would have kicked it by now!

When I fed this morning I did notice what looked like placenta (frozen and covered in shavings) so I think she passed it. Stool is looser again today though and she is acting a bit depressed. I dewormed her yesterday and more probios and pepto. The other doe seems to be doing fine and normal berries so hoping she hangs on to her kiddos. I just can't figure out why she is still scouring?? I thought for sure it was something they ate and the other one firmed back up very quickly.