BAD day!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Oct 25, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    OMG, HORRIBLE DAY! :angry: I had a yearling doe outside taking pictures of her for my site (then I let her loose), and I had her out with 3 doelings from April (loose as well). I was in the barn grabbing one of them and I go out and what do I see? My 8 month old buck out of his pen and the doe I have getting bred to him outside. And he's MOUNTING my yearling doe!! :angry: :angry: :angry: I have NO clue how they got out but I was mad. He was only on her for a split second before I grabbed him. Hoping she's not bred...But I checked her back end and she had a bit of white/clearish discharge. :sigh: Not too happy.

No one seems to think she's bred...but I think he got her. :sigh: I think she can handle kidding by next March easily (she's rather large in size) but I'm just mad at myself for letting this happen. :sigh: :sigh: I'm frustrated, angry, and worried!

Thanks all for listening to me vent and ramble. :hug: :grouphug:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I feel your pain Tara, :hug: All will work out, and if she is bred and is a good size I'm sure she'll be fine.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is a yearling? then I dotn see an issue. I thought all pygmies had to be a year old to be bred which would put her at the right timing.

Now she would have to be in standing heat and ovulating etc so there is still a chance that she doesnt settle even if he did breed her.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ....if she is a yearling...and is of good size ....she will be OK....if she took.. :wink: .....I feel your frustration....but she should be OK ....You should know for sure ....by her next heat cycle......write down the date on the calender....and count days...to her next one.....also ....it may of been a false heat.... :hug:

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks guys! :hug: I normally wait till the goat is 1 and 1/2 to breed because of all the kidding problems Pygmies have, but I'm not too worried about her kidding so young...I'm just frustrated that this happened!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome....I know how ya feel.....I like waiting to....but sometimes things happen beyond our control.....that we just can't help......Don't blame yourself....those goats can be pretty cleaver..... :wink: :greengrin:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bucks will be bucks -- it happends. Dont be to frustrated :shades:

8. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Those darn goats always find a way!
    Reminds me of the story a Togg breeder told me about her experience taking her doe to be bred at another farm.... she got her doe out of her truck and was waiting in the driveway while the buck owner went to get the buck out of the pen who she choose to breed her doe... well the buck and all his pen mates(about 8 other bucks)decided to charge the gate knocking the buck owner down and tramping over him. She sees 9 full-size Toggenburg bucks running strait toward her doe all at once so thinking fast she stood behind her doe and pressed her body up against her doe's rear end so they couldn't get at her. The bucks were mounting anything they could get at including the doe's owner. It took at least 10 minutes to corral the bucks but she managed not to let a single one get her doe.

P.S. If it were a real problem to have her be bred now you can give her an injection of Lutalyse in about 10 days and that will abort the breeding.

9. Keep in mind many does do not settle on the first try either. Yes there is a chance but I would not worry too much. And yea, it happens.

I was so worried about Cheryl as she was 8 months old when everyone started coming in. I kept thinking, no mistakes PLEASE she is too young. Well she was a year old 9/11 and came in her first heat this month. And boy let me tell you she was ready. Flagging like nuts, riding every other doe in town. My Jester finally busted the gate and I had to catch him, what fun and fianlly put my younger smaller buch with her. But truth is I worried all that time for nothing and really thought I messed up, since she is slip by one time and the boys were chasing her ALL over and I just knew she was in heat and was going to be bred. Naw, not at all.

Anyway. I would not worry, just think it may turn out to be a great breeding and sometimes when we try and control nature, nature tells us how it will be. So if it happens, Just relax and know nature was showing you who was boss this day. :wink:

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanksagain everyone...but now I'm not so sure he bred her because he has a doe in with his in raging heat riding and blubbering at anything (and has been for like a day now) and he still hasn't shown interest! :sigh:

11. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Oh no!

The same thing actually happened to me today! I was out with my goats and the sneaky buck managed to get in with the does...My five month old doeling ran over to him flirting like crazy and he got her before I could interfere. The whole thing took only seconds! We were actually wondering if she had already gotten accidentally bred, as she hadn't shown any signs of heat (until this evening) and was starting to get noticeably rounder in the middle...well, I guess she wasn't pregnant! At least it was the buck I meant to breed her to, but it was much sooner than I intended.

Hahaha funny story about the Toggenburgs. If I were that doe's owner and saw all those bucks stampeding at me, I might have let go of the doe and run! That would be a little scary!

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Just thought I'd give an update...She did come back into heat (whew!!)

But I had a lady who had wanted her bred...so that same little troublesome buck still got his way! :slapfloor: